Thursday, April 29, 2010

Side Cornrows into Sister Twists

Photobucket
Inspired by: Jill Scott and Tia of Her Best Hair


Get the look:
  • Using the end of a metail rat tail comb, part about half of the hair, tie the other half off and start cornrowing that side. You can do whatever design you would like. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and Curly Butter on each cornrow. I made the cornrows very loose for the protective styling challenge. If you do not know how to cornrow, please visit this website: Cornrows.co.uk This is the website that taught me how to cornrow.
  • Once you get to the end of your cornrow, add a little more product to the remaining hair, add the hair together so instead of 3 sections you will have two. Start twisting one section clockwise, and the other counter clockwise. This is the two strand sister twist method. Keep twisting the pieces in different directions while twisting around each other.
  • Once that side is all complete with cornrows going into sister twists, start parting medium sized boxes, add product, and do the sister twist method. You want your thumbs and pointer fingers holding on to each section close to the scalp. Your twist is going to unravel some, so you want to twist it close to the scalp, however, you don't want to tug on the scalp. Once you get to the end of each twist, you can start doing a regular two strand twist, then roll the ends with your fingers.
  • You will do this to the entire head of hair until you are finished.
Tip:This took me about 3 hours so make sure you take a break and have toys, snacks, and books on hand for your little one. Talk to your child during this time, have fun, be silly! Sprout and Noggin are great channels for the little ones.


She insisted I take pictures of her wearing her sunglasses.
Photobucket


Maintaining this style
  • Moisturize each night with your product of choice
  • Cover hair each night with a satin bonnet, or have your child sleep on a satin pillowcase

View more pictures of this style here.

30 comments :

  1. Kudos to you and Little A. I don't even know if I can sit still that long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from this being such a CUTE style, where did you find those cute sunglasses? And her necklace & bracelet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT, she a little diva with those sunglasses, necklace and bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this style and her swagg!!! LOL she got it and she know it! Nothing wrong wit it! Glad you encourage her natural beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!! I soooo wish we were closer so you could do my hair! I would sit still and you wouldn't even need toys for me :) I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! She is rockin' it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and stylish!! I actually want to try this on my own hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohhh!!!! I love, love, love it! I will be attempting this on my lil' A's hair this weekend... thanks a bunch.. so Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what the other mommies decided to do for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo !!! This style is beautiful !
    You did it on wet or dry hair ?
    Sarah P. (From France)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, can u say Diva? She is amazingly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I hadn't visited your blog in a while (trying to stay off of the internet, lol) so I have a lot of goodies to catch up on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you start this style on wet or dry hair? Did you do a stretch-style 1st?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nic, her hair was slightly stretched. But since I tried stretching (banding) on *very* wet hair, she still had lots of curl definition. I left it banded for just over one day. Usually if I'm banding to stretch for a style I leave it in for at least 3 days, and redo it each night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I CAN SEE WHY YOU LOVE THOSE "BEE" PRODUCTS.LOL! I JUST PURCHASED SOME TODAY, BASED UPON YOUR REVIEWS. A'S HAIR LOOKS SO SHINY AND HEALTHY. GREAT JOB AS USUAL, SHE HAS A FABULOUS HAIRSTYLE! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  17. i luc this style,whenever i do two strand twists i never part the hair ,to me it looks more natural but u canno tell there are no parts,i'll have to post a pic,but yur s looks so cute,i wish ava had enuff hair to do a mohawk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great style and I love those sunglasses!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg...Nikki that hair style is beautiful. I can tell A loves her hair too. Great job with the braiding and twisting. I wish I had the time to do my sons hair the way I wanted to with the protective style challenge but I had so much running around I had to do this week..so he had to get some simple big braids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to know where you buy A's clothes and accessories. Can you do a video on sister twists or give me the name of a site that shows me how. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this style! You are so good at cornrowing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay "A's" face in the last two pictures a priceless!Cute styles

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my goodness I'm gonna try this on myself haha! SO cute

    ReplyDelete
  24. My daughter Zoe just turned 7 months and her hair is super thick and long she has a full head of hair I have been putting it in multiple ponytails so far. But being it so thick the ponytails rise up and come out. Is it too early to introduce braids?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.