Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Three Layers of Cornrows

Repost from 2009

Photobucket

I did this style late last year for Picture Day at school, this was my second time doing layered cornrows. If you do not know how to cornrow, please visit the website that taught me to cornrow.

Photobucket


Step by step instructions:
  1. Start with completely detangled hair. A previously had some box braids in, so when I took them out her hair was stretched out a lot. I fingered combed her dry hair, then moisturized with Giovanni Direct Leave-in and detangled with a wide tooth comb.
  2. I went ahead and parted my three layers. First I parted a circle on the top of her head, this was going to be my first layer, which was going to be going into a ponytail. I tied that section off and parted the second layer, I started from right behind the left ear and parted all the way to right behind the right ear. I tied that secion off as well. Finally, I tied the very bottom section off.
  3. I went back up to my very first top layer. I started parting from the middle of the circle at a point, kind of like a triangle. Think as if you are parting that circular layer into a pizza. You will cornrow each "pizza slice" going up into the middle of the circle.
  4. Next I started on my second layer, which was parted from ear to ear. I started on the right side of her head, right infront of her ear. All I had to do was make straight parts going down, trying to line up my top layer with my bottom layer parts.
  5. After cornrowing the second layer all the way across, I started on my very bottom layer. I had to tie off the second layer so it wasn't falling in my way. Once again, all you have to do is try to line up your parts with your second layer parts and cornrow straight down.
  6. You're all done!
Note: Make sure you moisturize the hair first, then use a product that has good hold for your cornrows. Before cornrowing each section I added unrefined shea butter mixed with virgin coconut oil and a little Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist gel (about a fingertips worth for each section).

Note: If you are going to add beads or barrettes you do not have to braid all the way down to the very last bit of hair. About an inch or so before you get to the end, simply start doing a two strand twist. Make sure the ends are well moisturized before adding any accessories.

The next morning (picture day!) I put her top layer in a ponytail and pushed it over to the side and added a hair ball to match her outfit, I also added some beads and she was ready to say cheese! :D



Photobucket

Photobucket


When we were ready to take the beads out I cut the rubberbands out, moisturized her ends once again, and just added a bow for a slightly different look.



Photobucket

10 comments :

  1. I love layered cornrows because the style can last up to two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hair as always and LOVE the new blog look! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just plain CUTE! Love the beads

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute.... love the braided hairstyles you can dress them up or down for any occassion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi i sometimes braid my hair similar to that but not that style ill usually design the front part of my head and have the rest of my hair in layers but im trying to achieve a certain look that looks right on me,im 21 yrs old so i taught myself how to braid.But my email is collegegirl210@yahoo.com if i could send you pics of my hair before its braided and pics of how its braided now so you can see what im talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i so wish i had ur hair because my hair is short and i want really long hair like urs

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.