Monday, April 19, 2010

Strawller Update + I'm Not Perfect

Photobucket
 
A's Strawller set lasted 4 days which was great. We switched it up just a little by adding clips, and on the last day, I put it half up half down and put a cute flower in. I moisturized her hair daily with shea butter mixed with coconut oil and put it in a loose high ponytail at night so her hair didn't become flat. I missed one day of not putting her hair into a high ponytail at night so she did sleep on her hair on day 3.
 
Maintaining Strawller set:
 
Photobucket

After it was time to wash the Strawller set out I decided to first rinse her hair with warm water, and load it up with conditioner and virgin coconut oil. Well, some major things came up this weekend (my other brother was in the hospital, had to have surgery) so the night I decided to do that, I didn't get a chance to rinse it out. I ended up leaving the conditioner/coconut oil in her hair for two days. Her hair looked fine, but apparently it was not. Basically, 3/8" diameter Strawllers + coconut oil + conditioner in for two days = a big no no.
 
Here's what her hair looked like the day after I did "the big no no". Looks fine, right? Yeah, I thought so too.
 
Photobucket

When I went to wash A's hair tonight, she had some major tangles and fairy knots in the back. It took me about 30 minutes to detangle the back of her hair, but only 10 minutes to detangle the front. The back got a lot more tangled up than the front, I'm not exactly sure why but she definitely had some breakage. Those fairy knots just wouldn't come out. I feel pretty stupid, but this just goes to show I am not perfect. You live and you learn, right?

Note to self: Next time you do a Strawller set, rinse with warm water, load up with conditioner and coconut oil, leave in for 20 minutes, then start seperating the curls and detangling in sections. Do not, I repeat, do not wait two days after doing the first couple of steps.
 
Have you ever had any "I'm not perfect" moments when dealing with your child's hair?

20 comments :

  1. I have! I left a tight rubberband in the front of her hair for a few days and when I took it off a huge strand of hair came off with it! It took forever to grow back in and it was very noticeable because it was in the front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we have ALL have those moments/days/weeks. I caused breakage by being totally careless recently. I was near panicked tears when I first tried a coil comb and got it stuck. I thought I was going to have to cut a huge chunk of hair out. My list of oops could go on and on.

    Look on the bright side, you now have some very unique knowledge to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one is perfect. That's why our parents have told us we learn fom our mistakes. I had one with my youngest by leaving his hair in a ponytail for 1 day without combing it the night before. It was so tangled it took forever to detangle. With my oldest I thought I could leave his 2 strand twist in for more than a week...his hair almost turned into dreds because it started to mat. I just happy she didn't need a major cut. This little girl (7 years old) I knew was visiting her father and the stepmom told her to take down her own braids... Mind you she's biracial and with curly hair you have to be delicate when taking down braids. Her hair was so tangled...they had to cut at least 5 inches off and she was midback length.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm praying for you and your family. I forgot to ask... did you have to cut any of A's hair, if so how much ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. He is doing fine now thank goodness. Yes I definitely had to snip some of the tiny knots out. It's not noticeable though. I banded her hair that night, I will post a picture tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what r fairy knots?and what do u mean when u say u banded her hair?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your brother is ok Nikki.

    Don't feel bad, it happens.

    Hey, I got my Strawllers in the mail yesterday. I'll be excited to try them out in the near future and I'll let you now how it goes.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are 100% right girl, we live and learn. Best wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it was only a minor setback. better to have it happen when she is younger and probably won't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your brother, I hope he is doing better now. Girl, Dont feel bad. That has happened to me before too. Just last month A Pony O got stuck in her hair and I had to cut it out. Im so thankful she has alot of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you had to cut it but I'm glad it wasn't much and it's not noticeable. Happy to hear your brother is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely have had some major 'no, no' moments. When I first started doing my little ones hair using rubbberbands I was using a nail clipper to cut the rubberbands out her hair. Well I wasnt being carefull enough and I cut not just the rubberband but the hair too!! It took forever to grow back, it still alot shorter than the rest of her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My "no no" moment was allowing my daughters, who have bottom length hair, to wear their hair down with a headband but also while wearing sporty shirts that had buttons on the shoulders. Their strands got tangled around those buttons while they tomboy'ed it up outside. It took me two hours to detangle and remove hair from those buttons without them losing a mass of hair. I thank G-D it was on a Saturday, so I had all day to detangle and used all day to do it. But...NEVA AGAIN!

    My youngest daughter had a "no-no" moment when she accidently left her Zhu Zhu pet toy near her head while she read a book on our big comfy chair. The stupid thing kept moving and ran right up part of her hair, getting it tangled around the wheel. Once I ran in from the kitchen, my guy told me not to get mad or panic...because my daughter had ripped the Zhu Zhu off her head instead of waiting for me to attempt to untangle it (or at least save as much length of those trapped strands as possible), thus taking a tiny section of hair off right at the root!!! She had this teeny tiny bald spot (you really had to get right near her scalp to see it), but all I could think about was how there WAS a bald spot regardless of how unnoticible, lol. It's since then grown 4 inches and easy to hide within the mass of the rest of her hair. She is so lucky that her hair grows more than half an inch each month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear your brother is doing better! In emergency cases your mind isn't where its supposed to be, I agree with the other moms- "We've all had "no no" moments!

    My very first one was using the johnson and johnson no more tangles shampoo on Aaliyah's hair. It made it so dry and brittle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've done this same thing to my hair so many times it doesn't make sense. At least you learned after the 1st time! As for me, I've gotten frustrated to the point of wanting to hack it all off!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the only big no no I have had is leaving my baby girls hair in braids that were a little tight for a few days there was a little breakage and bumps around the edge of her hair so that will never happen again I'm so glad her hair didn't come out I wouldve really felt bad

    ReplyDelete
  17. where do you purchase these from as i've yet to be able to find them?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that they are looking beautifull, but thank u for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.