Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Small and Large Shifted Alternating Cornrows

Photobucket
If you do not know how to cornrow, click here!

Before placing in braided ponytail
Photobucket

Photobucket


Instructions:
  • A's hair was banded (in 4 sections) over night so it was slightly stretched out. In the afternoon I added some Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to each section of her hair and detangled with my fingers. After finger detangling I used the Modified Denman Brush and gently started from her ends, working my way up, in small sections of course.
  • Using the end of the metal rat tail comb I started parting her hair from the middle of her head (by her forehead) and started making my way down toward her right ear. I parted in a downward motion then continued parting by going in an upward motion (think rollercoaster) I the started parting straight down. I made sure this cornrow was large because I planned on alternating between large and medium/small cornrows.
  • I tied the rest of her hair off to get it out of the way and added some Bee Mine Curly Butter to the section and began cornrowing. Once I started getting toward the part with a lot of hair I began running my thumb all the way across and added that entire section to my middle piece. I continued parting with my thumb across and adding to the middle piece. I made sure to lean the cornrow in the direction I wanted them to be, which was the right side. This is important if you want your cornrow to shift toward one side instead of the middle. Want it on the right? Hold it toward the right. The left? Hold it toward the left.
  • After cornrowing that section I parted a smaller cornrow going in the same pattern the larger cornrow was parted. I cornrowed that section and moved on.
  • I continued alternating between small and large cornrows, following the same pattern for parting. Once I got to the left side of the large cornrows I made sure I held those cornrows to the left. I'm not sure if you can tell in the pictures but on the right side they are shifted to the right and on the left side they are shifted to the left.
  • After cornrowing her entire head I pulled her braids back into a ponytail, split them into three sections and braided it. Added a flower (bought from Walgreens) and she was done!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

How is your child wearing their hair this week?

27 comments :

  1. I love the look of the alternating small and large cornrows! Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about mixing small with large braid this is a very cute style you can always jazz it up with accessories, do you use the band method before doing all your braiding hairstyles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really come up with too many hair styles for me to keep up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I love how you started the braids at her forehead - I wish I more creative with my parts.

    In answer to your question, Q is wearing loose curls today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty! For some reason all of the pics aren't showing up on my iPhone so I'll have to look at them on my computer. Anisa wore a braid out for her pictures yesterday and she has the Kai Lan hairstyle today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this.. deffinatley am on my way to working up towards this style...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this style! It is so cute, and quick!

    Today is my daughter's last day of school, she is wearing straight back cornrows (small) in the front 1/2 of her hair with 2 french braids going up (started @ the neck) into a pony tail with singles. She will keep that in till friday or saturday. We are going camping this weekend and I would like an easy style for her to wear. I am thinking cornrows into a pony tail. Any good camping hair suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to ask.. on some tutorials i watch people advise not to do any parts when doing cornrows..others say part and section.. which do you find you do the most?? im just starting but i always section and part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to try the alternating small and large cornrows one day. India is wearing her hair in cornrows going straight back into two ponytails. I used Bee Mine Hair Milk and Luscious Moisturizer to do the style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avi had a style similiar to this one,I would take a pic to post but today iscday 6 and it's super frizzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute and simple. I love it. That's exactly why I chose simple braids for a few week for the challenge. I can only see the first pic from my phone. I'll check back in a few minutes to see the other ones because all I see are question marks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see all of the pics now. It's pretty down as well! Very good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this style. Never would have to do this style on a child. Cute!

    L is wearing her natural hair out today and i moisturized it with coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do TK's hair like that too with the alternating!! People always love it and we do too = quick, pretty, & simple!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute style & flower!

    My girls all have box braids, actually I just rebraided them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the various sizes. what a way to make something old look new again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it. Her dress is very pretty. The front of her hair is so pretty, I love how you started with a design in front ...nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a cute and interesting style. I need to learn to cornrow quick!! This week, Simara has her regular box braids

    ReplyDelete
  20. cesimmons09, not always but lately I have been. I find that the next day (or whenever I take them out) she has no knots/tangles (unlike regular large single braids) so it makes our styling session much easier. I will be making a FAQ soon so I'll add a little more info then. :)

    Aisha, would love to see the kai lan style!

    Lee, I think your cornrows into pony idea would be great! Up and out of the way. :) I would do either that or box braids. Have fun!

    Thanks everyone!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Nikki, I know that you are in the process of reposting several old posts, but I would love if you reposted the one you did on the modified Denman. Thanks a bunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. that is such a cute style.. i love the flower

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a great style. I love the way you mix sizes, and when you mix braids with twists, and so on. You make me think about styling differently each time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Totally Love the Flower!!! I like this style.

    ReplyDelete
  25. keep up the beautiful work.hoping to learn yo braid soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How do we share pics of thuer braids &my lil lady looks like a toddler version of Ledisi

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.