Thursday, July 21, 2011

Product Review: Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme

This is what her curls looked like at the end of the day. Completely dry.


I'll make this a quick review because Baby Big Hair pretty much covered it all in her review yesterday. After I read BBH's review I hunted down Queen Helene Royal Curling Creme (try saying that three times fast). The price was beautiful, $7.99 for a 15oz, so I bought two. I also picked up a bottle of their Royal Curl Moisture Rich Conditioner. I couldn't wait to try it so today I washed A's hair with Aubrey Organics Swimmers Shampoo (review soon!), rinsed and loaded it up with Queen Helene's Moisture Rich Conditioner. A's hair was very tangled because dad let her swim with her hair all out earlier so it was a bit of a task but the conditioner provided enough slip to detangle. I think I really like it. I also like the price($7.99). After detangling I squeezed all the excess conditioner out of her hair and left the rest in as instructed on the bottle. I then applied the Royal Curl Creme to small sections of her soaking wet hair from root to tip then brushed through her curls with our Denman D3 brush. Note: Since her hair was completely detangled, I only did one swipe of the brush from root to tip so her curls clumped together nicely. The picture below is what her hair looked like shortly after I applied the product. The other pictures were taken several hours later when her hair was completely dry. I think this product is very comparable to Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It definitely defined and weighed down her curls. It's not something I would use all the time since we love her big poofy curls but I think this is a great product to give her a different look. It really shows how versatile natural hair is. I was surprised at how her curls still looked so defined and frizz free at the end of the day because it is HOT and HUMID out today. We have been running around all day so the product was definitely put to the test. Her curls also had to deal with car seat hair and high winds. The A.C. in my car is currently broken so we're rollin' with the windows and sunroof down, lol. I'd say the only downside to this product is crunchiness. If you cannot stand crunch, do not buy this product. I expect for a lot of the crunchiness to be gone by tomorrow so I will keep you all posted. Now lets get to the pictures...

Edited to add: Although the jar says all natural, this is not an all natural product which I personally have no problem with. If you prefer all natural products, you might want to go with Kinky Curly Curling Custard instead.

Ingredients: 
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Pectin, Agave Rigida (Sisal) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Pheno...xyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum)

Hair shortly after applying product, still wet.


End of the day

End of the day

I took this picture yesterday. This is what her hair typically looks like with no product. By the way, I believe she got her 1 inch of hair back from her trim, but that's another post...

End of the day, spinning around.

End of the day

10 comments :

  1. Beautiful curls and such a cute outfit! Still looks great at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about the crunch and if it'll be gone tomorrow (even Kinky Curly makes GDL's hair crunchy) but you can't deny that A's hair looks reallllly nice! Pretty outfit too, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love her curls and when my hair grows up it wants to look just like hers lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her hair is beautiful and I can't wait to buy and try this product...but on another note: were do you get her shoes (i am so envious..lol) I can never find cool and stylish shoes for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this in the store today but I knew you were doing a review so I wanted to come home and read it first. I will definitely try it now. :) Her hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much of it do you find that you use on her hair. I would image it's a pretty thick layer you put on it. How long does the 7.99 bottle last (how many hair washings would you say?)
    I've been wanting to try the kinky custard but the store nears me only sells the $30 bottle and I'm hesistant to spend that much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. We don't have any whole foods or any store down here I can find this at guess it's time to take a trip to the city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this at Whole Foods and liked it so much I did not care about the mild crunch! I just misted it with my homemade moisture spray and the crunch was gone! Love how my curls stayed defined!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how is your daughter that pretty

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.