Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mini Braids Are Out! + Big Hair


Outfit: Romper & Purse- GAP Outlet (they had a 50% off everything sale 4th of July weekend) Sandals- Crazy8 Sunglasses- GAP (retail)

A's mini braids are finally out! Can you believe they lasted 7 weeks? The take down took somewhere around 6 hours. I started taking them down last week and finished on July 5th so I was in no rush. I took the braids around her head out first and left the braids in at the crown because I knew I wouldn't finish in one day. It worked out perfectly because I could put her hair in a bun and cover the braids with ease. I rinsed her braids with water and used Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (old ingredients) conditioner and a metal rat tail comb. I put the end of the comb in every 2-3 stitches and smoothed one section of the braid out. Very easy!

Her hair was quite tangled on July 5th since I let her swim with free hair and braids at the crown on July 4th so it took about an hour for me to wash and detangle. I used Curls Curlicious Cleansing Cream and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner. I found a bunch of Herbal Essences conditioner with the old ingredients at Big Lots so I loaded up. I still haven't tried the new version. I used my fingers to detangle her hair first so there was no breakage. After finger detangling I used the modified Denman D3 brush.

After washing and detangling I banded her hair in 6 sections overnight (see below). I applied a generous amount of my love, Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer to each section before putting the bands in. By the way, if you're interested in trying Bee Mine Products, they are having a 1-day customer appreciation sale on Saturday, July 9th, only. You can use our reader discount code: JULBBB for 15% off your purchase of $15 or more. Happy shopping!

I was going to put her hair in some big two strand twists today but she insisted on wearing her "big poofy hair" instead. :)



Ever wonder what happens to natural hair when it meets high winds? lol...

20 comments :

  1. You go girl, she is rockin' it and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her wild poofy look :) I am very nervous about the mini braids. Not sure I would have the patience to get them out. and i worry about the tangles that may result... but the draw of not having to do hair for several weeks is obviously a draw. sounds like yours came out pretty uneventfully though. I may give it a try one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look @ that outfit and hair...I love it! Btw I nominated you for a award on my blog (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Thing is fabulous! Super cute...head to toe! I'm kinda jealous of her hair. I'm experiencing the phase where my hair grows out, instead of down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did mini braids, but I am PETRIFIED to take them out. My A went swimming today and I gotta see how it works out in a few weeks when I take them down.

    I need a detangling VIDEO :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the big hair! Beautiful!



    precious-curls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want those cloth ponytail holders! And I can't find them. Boo. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. my lil sis (7yo) was looking at this and said oh look she looks cute! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. A is sooo cute!!! Loving her model posing!! 7 weeks is a LONG TIME! Glad they last as long as you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Baby,her hair is just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the hair. It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE it LOVE it LOVE it! that's funny cause my A insisted on wearing her big hair too =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her hair looks fantastic, do you leave the bands on overnight? Is it ok to sleep with your hair banded?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the style and your hair are beautifulllll :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw one of those air tubes in Downey (California) and was wondering who would get in one hehe A is soooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg your girl has AMAZING HAIR WOW !!!!!! how is it soooo long

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello my name is Ana Paula and I'm from Brazil and your site is all that I needed to help care for the hair of my 4 year old twins. thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.