Thursday, April 14, 2011

Product Review: Little Penguins

little penguins


I know what you're thinking. Who the heck are Little Penguins? Well, take a seat and get familiar. Read a little about them and check out our review. I promise you won't be disappointed.

About Little Penguins:

Little Penguins was created for our daughter.
Growing up vegetarian, I was constantly concocting some sort of food based, natural hair or skin "cocktail" and then forgetting about it in the fridge after a single use.
I dragged home any book that I could find in the library, having to do with the possible uses of herbs and food, for skin and hair. It was not unusual to have someone angry because I had used the last of the yogurt on my face, or banana on my hair.
I was fascinated with the properties that food, plants, and herbs had to offer not just our tummies, but our exterior bodies as well.
It wasn't until I found out we were expecting our daughter though, and I was unable to find much out there that I felt comfortable putting on her tiny body and hair, that Little Penguings online was born.
Over the next two years, I researched the specific needs that her hair and skin would have, as well as natural ingredients that had properties targeted directly towards those needs. When I had done all the research I could, and learned as much of the chemistry as my brain could take, I consulted a chemist to help with the basic formulas that I had in mind. Those formulas were refined until they did exactly what we wanted. Our daughters naturally curly, kinky hair and soft skin are thriving, and I'm comfortable knowing exactly what ISN'T going into her body.
The creative mixing continues. It's the most fun we've ever had.


Organic Honey & Vanilla Bean Smoothie

Price: $11 8oz

Ingredients: Made with distilled water, organic castor oil, organic golden jojoba oil, BTMS (rapeseed oil emulsifier) vegetable source glycerin, organic raw Brazilian honey, panthenol, hydrolized silk protein, radish root fermente (Leuconostoc), essential oils of bourbon vanilla, and mandarin.

Review: "This is a cleansing cream, softener, conditioner & moisturizer, with antibacterial properties (thanks to our amazing organic raw Brazillian honey.)" If you're on our Facebook page then you probably read my status saying I was head over heels in love with a new conditioner. Well, this, my good friends, is the conditioner I was talking about. New love, meet my friends. Friends, meet my new love. His name is Smoothie and he is amazing! All jokes aside, this stuff felt like silk going in A's hair. I was shocked. I have never experienced this with any conditioner, not even my beloved drug store Hello Hydration conditioner (old ingredients), and that's saying a lot. I applied a very generous amount of the smoothie to A's hair and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The Smoothie is nice and creamy and gave me a nice slip which assisted me in detangling A's hair. After rinsing the Smoothie out, her hair still felt amazing. Unbelieveable. Since this product was sent for me for free I couldn't remember the price. I ran upstairs to hop on the computer and go to Littlepenguinsonline.com to see how much this stuff was. I was hooked. "Please don't let it be $20, please don't let it be $20", I told myself. Was it $20? Nope! Only $11 for an 8oz bottle. Woohoo! I mean, I just bought some Yes To Carrots Conditioner from Target the other day for just over $9 and it doesn't even compare to this. I will definitely be ordering some more of this. The only down side is you cannot leave it in. The bottle says "DO RINSE, we use real honey in our smoothies". Darn. Oh well, I'm cool with that. Like I said, her hair felt amazing afterwards. I also used this on Lil Man with the same fabulous results. Did I mention it smells good, too? P.S. Can you make this in a bigger size? Maybe a gallon? Thanks.

A's hair after using and rinsing Organic Honey & Vanilla Bean Smoothie. I braided her wet hair using the Fresh Cream and Mocha Bean Pom.


Her braid-out the next morning. The fabulous headband is from Cabecitas Lindas Hair Accessories.



Fresh Cream

Price: $12 4oz

Ingredients: Distilled water, BTMS (rapeseed oil emulsifier), organic aloe vera juice, silk amino acids, panthenol, kelp extract, organic oils of: broccoli seed, golden jojoba, rice bran, virgin coconut, and castor. Fractionated coconut oil, Monoi De Tahiti, radish root ferment(Leuconostoc) essential oils of neroli, jasmine absolute, and ylang-ylang.

Review: "This is low water, moisture intense, leave in conditioner & detangler." I like this product. I used it on both wet and dry hair (even though they recommend using it on wet hair) and it worked great both times. When I applied it to A's wet hair I could immediately tell it was starting to define her curls but I was doing a braid-out so we didn't have time to see the end results. This product has a medium to thick consistency. I'm not too thrilled with the smell, it seems a little minty, I guess? But it's not bad, I typically like fruity scents. This seems like a good product to define curls, style the hair (braids, twists, cornrows) and smooth down ponies.

A's hair after being styled with the Fresh Cream and Mocha Bean Pom.


Mocha Bean Pom

Price: $8.50 2oz or $17 4oz

Ingredients: Made with organic, raw cocoa butter, organic coffee bean butter, virgin coconut oil (penetrates to the cortex), broccoli seed oil (to mimic silicone), and scented with a tiny bit of bourbon vanilla essential oil

Review: This product adds some SERIOUS shine! I've never seen A's hair look so shiny. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. The smell is amazing. It kind of smells like coffee and before you ask, no, I'm not a coffee drinker. There's just something about the smell that I love. I focused this product on her ends and even dipped our rubberbands in this product with A's latest style. I can't wait to try the Fresh Cream and Mocha Bean Pom together next time she wears her hair down (if I have enough! lol).

I also used the Fresh Cream and Mocha Bean Pom on Lil Man's first cornrows!



You can purchase Little Penguins products on their website, Littlepenguinsonline.com

Disclosure: The product(s) were sent to me free of charge from the company or PR agency for the purpose of this review. My opinions are my own and are not influenced by any other part.

12 comments :

  1. I'm always on the look out for a new conditioner and I think I'll try it out! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny Nikki! One of our family members has used the Organic Vanilla Bean Smoothie on her daughters hair as a leave in, since the time it was developed. She's a rebel:) I just worry that someone may experience some dullness etc. because it does have a high humectant content with the honey and glycerin, and not want to try to use it again, however rest assured that there is absolutely NOTHING harmful in this. If you want to play around with leaving it in and trying new styles, go for it and feel safe. You may find a completely different way to use it. I'm sure you will teach us something new:) (Kelly@littlepenguins)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great product line. Thanks for sharing the review!



    precious-curls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll need to try these. I love products with BTMS and these seem to have lots of it. Today is wash day, I wish I could try the Fresh Cream and the Smoothie right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review...I was looking for new products to use on my daughter's hair. I just placed an order for all these products plus the ella jelly and sweet cream butter. Can't wait to try all the new products.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need more products like these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ive finally joined I would love to try the honey + vanilla bean smoothie on my daughters very dry hair

    ReplyDelete
  9. do u think the pom has a better hold than bee mine curly butter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to try Ella Jelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like try the smoothie I also tweeted about it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I purchased the vanilla bean smoothie based on your review and it is really great! I used it on my own hair (I am growing out my relaxer... I have about a year's worth of new growth). I used the smoothie to co-wash and then I air dryed for a couple of hours then used a blow dryer. My hair is SOOOOOO moisturized, lol. Thank so much for your review! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.