Monday, May 31, 2010

Protective Styling Challenge: Update #3

Photobucket

Bee Mine

Use discount code: BBB for 10% off Bee Mine Products $15 minimum purchase (Good only until the end of June!)

The Prize:
The winner of the One Month Protective Styling Challenge will receive 4 (Yes, FOUR!) full size Bee Mine Products of YOUR choice!

Incase you need a reminder of how much we love these products click here and here.

Click *here* to see our introduction post along with our plans of action.

Click *here* Update #1

Click *here* Update #2

Photobucket

The owner of Bee Mine Products and I will choose the winner based on:
  • How well you follow the rules
  • How well your overall plan of action sounds
  • & Being creative doesn't hurt!

Of course, you must do our weekly check-in's and include a picture. 'A' will not be eligible for the prize.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: A

What was your protective style of choice for week 2? Same Box Braids from last week

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes

How did your child's new style hold up for the week? A's box braids held up very well for the second week. In the update picture I had unraveled the ends of the box braids, wet them, then applied Bee Mine Curly Butter and twirled them around my finger.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Yes

Photobucket

Protective Style:
Photobucket

Name: Simara W.

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? For week 3, Simara had simple box braids in her hair

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. I received some new products in the mail this week and I can't wait to use them on her hair!!

How did your child's new style hold up for the week? Simara's hair held up pretty well for week 3. Besides the normal frizz, I redid some of the braids on Thursday.

Do you plan on restyling for week 3? Yes, for week 4 Simara will have a cornrow style that I saw on HappyGirlHair blog. Side cornorows with 2 ponytails secured with Goody Ouchless bands. Simple and cute!

Other: This month has been flying by. I can't believe that the challenge is almost over. I have really enjoyed participating in this challenge and we should definitely do this again this year. I really enjoy the weekly check-ins because it helps to keep me motivated and seeing all of the girls (and boys) with their styles gives me new ideas to try. Keep up the great work Nikki

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: TK

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? A combo of cornrows into 2strand twists with medium plaits in the back. I wanted something that was a little dressier and something I wouldn't have to worry about freshening up too much in the mornings.

Have you been following the rules? Roger that! I've completely ruled out adding anything to her hair for this month so so far, we're still on point.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, plus our 2x/day scalp massages and daily moisturizing of her ends.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Pretty well... maybe just as well as when she had the 2strand twists in. Each morning I spritzed her ends with a mix of water and EVCO and every other day I freshened up her twists because they unraveled daily.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Yes, cornrows and plaits. That will definitely hold and stay. And even though we're nearing the end of the challenge, that style is going to get pushed as close to 2weeks as it possibly can. I wish I had thought to see how her hair responded to a couple weeks of having her hair cowashed biweekly instead of weekly, so I'll start now.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket
Name: KeAirah

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? Our style of choice was box braids.

Have you been following the rules? Yes, we have been following the rules.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, our plan of action has remained the same.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Her braids held up very well except for the very back. Her hair is very soft/fine back there and the braids just unravel after a day or two.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? No, we will not be restyling for week 4. We will maintain these until the end of the challenge.

Photobucket

Protective style & Update pictures:
Photobucket

Name: Ray (see Ray and her mommy's blog here.)

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? Puffs

Have you been following the rules? Ooooh Yes.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes. When I took the braids the hair was not to tangled and after washing and deep conditioning I used all Bee Mine Products. They seem to work good on her hair.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? I did not restyle. I sprayed it with Bee Mine Juicy - Moisturizing Daily Spritz daily. I took off and brush the top ponytail holder (white one) and after brushing the fuzzy's down I put it back on. I re did the puffs on Day 3 and they stayed untl the last day.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Yes I plan to make Box Braids.

Other: I like the Bee Mine products so far.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Makena

What was your protective style of choice? Box braids, twisted at the ends

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, my plan was basically to keep the box braids in for the month, massage scalp and wash weekly, use leave-in conditioner, moisturize daily, and seal. I have kept up this routine, although I decided to experiment with different products for some functions (i.e. Qhemet OHHB as a sealant instead of EVCO or EVCO/Shea mix).

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? No re-styling, we just washed as planned with Oyin Honey Wash, conditioned with water bottle mix of Oyin's Honey Hemp condish and water, and sealed with EVCO/Shea mix. Since the bottom 1.5 inches of her box braids were twisted, I untwisted them, sprayed w/ extra water bottle condish mix, and applied a little more EVCO/Shea mix, then retwisted. Finally, for this week's look I flat-twisted the top half and used bantu knots secured w/ Goody Ouchless bands - the skinny ones. I flat-twisted/knotted the bottom half in the same way and sent her outside to read and play in the sun for a few hours. Then I took it down for a 1/2 flat-twist, 1/2 curly look. She likes it and said her scalp felt good...lol.

Other: I had an idea of some of the looks I wanted for her so I took that into consideration when I made the box braid parts in the beginning. Hair part considerations included: a side part (loose braids) AND middle part (flat twists), making the parts small enough that we could get a good wash and oil of her scalp, but big enough to keep the frizzies to a minimum and hopefully achieve a nice braidout next weekend.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Laverius

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? Simple Braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes/no
Yes- I'm still using Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Mist as a moisturizer.
No- instead of using the WNMFM every two or three days, we are moisturizing Bae Bae's hair everyday because he has his simple braids instead of layered braids...we want to make sure his hair is getting enough moisture.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? His hair held up ok.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Yes. Bae Bae may get layers to get an extra week pass the 1 month challenge.

Other: Bae Bae will continue to sleep in his satin bonnet and we will moisturize his hair everyday with the layered braids to see if everyday moisture is better for his hair, instead of every two to three days of moisture.

Photobucket

Protective style & update:
Photobucket

Name: Anisa

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? Box braids

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes, but I am still using Carol's Daughter Loc Butter, Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist

How did your child's style hold up for the week? Great! I have been very happy with this style.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? No, she will have the same box braids for week 4.

Other: I did decide to change it up a bit. I bought Anisa some Goody's Ouchless Comfort Fit Headbands and she wanted to wear the pink one to school. I also tried something different. I twisted her box braids on the side. The twists led into cornrows. I clipped one of the cornrows up with a curly bow. The rest of her hair was left down. I applied the loc butter to her hair everyday and she slept with her hair in a satin bonnet.

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Evelyn

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? i did cornrows into puffs

Have you been following the rules? i have been following the rules i used black faded glory bands to hold the puffs and i did not tie it tight and i also did little bows tp bring so color to her style

Have you stuck with your plan of action? i have stuck with the same plan of action

How did your child's style hold up for the week? her hair only lasted for a week before it became very fuzzy; it was kind of my fault, i kept on forgetting to put her du-rag on at night

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? i do plan on changing her style to box braids and i just got in some bee mine products so i will try to see how they work out on her hair

Photobucket

Protective style & update:
Photobucket

Name: Aliana

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? She rocked the bantu knot out this week (as we did the knot out on Day 6 of last week)

Have you been following the rules? Yes ma'am!

Have you stuck with your plan of action? As far as keeping it moisturized & protected yes. My original plan for week 3 was the twist out (her twists were supposed to last 2 weeks {ha!} try less than a week) but it's all good because I got to try a lot more protective styles that I've never tried before. SO...for week 3 it was actually similar to my original plan as it is an "out" style. Then last night (day 7) I washed & condition her hair (with products from plan), finger combed & started part of her style for week 4 (cornrows into puff, I did half or cornrows & put in puff, doing the rest tomorrow).

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? It was great I used the Creme Brule daily & it really defined her curls & made them not so "clumpy". The knot out also kept her hair very full/volumized (versus just having her hair in a natural puff/fro)

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? The last week: cornrows into a high (but not too tight) puff!

Other: UPDATE:As you can see I finished making her satin pillowcase this week & both she & I love it!

Photobucket

Protective styles:
Photobucket

Names: Miss Priss & The Artist

Photobucket

Protective style & update:
Photobucket
Name: Jaliyah

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? 3 Layes of Cornrows

Have you been following the rules? Yes

Have you stuck with your plan of action? Yes mostuize every morning and every night.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? It held up very well. As long as I mostuize her ends the style stays very nice. I was suprised her cornrows especially the ones in the back held up because she is such a ruff sleeper.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? We are going to definalty restyle. Not sure yet because she had been sick the last 3 days so i'm not sure how long she is going to sit for me.

Photobucket

Protective styles:
Photobucket

Name: Joeliana and Alia

What was your protective style of choice? For Alia, I washed and then braided her hair in box braids this week. To dress up for church I pulled her box braids into two ponytails with approved bands.
For Joeliana, we took out almost three weeks of her small cornrows, and I have let her hair be natural at this point since her hair is still so short.

Have you been following the rules? yes.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? yes

How did your child's style hold up for the week? I re-did Alia's box braids with my new favorite Bee Mine moisturizer and her scalp, which was "sick" before, is doing much better...no sores this week-YEA. Joeliana's loose hair needs oil and moisturizer every day to look "healthy" and good. I would like to try box braids for her this week.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Alia - no. Joeliana - box braids if her hair is long enough...

Other: I'm glad to see Alia's scalp improve; which means I was probably doing her braids to tight. I am also glad to see Joeliana's hair getting long enough to braid again...her hair is so thick and her curls so tight that her hair seems to be healthier if it can be braided or twisted some how.

Photobucket

Protective style & update:
Photobucket

Name: Patience

What was your protective style of choice for week 3? It was the same box braids, just refreshed.

Have you been following the rules? I have been following the rules.

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I sure have. I washed Patience's hair last week twice because she went swimming, but still kept the box braids.

How did your child's style hold up for the week? They held up very well. But needed to be re-done.

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? No, I will just keep the box braids and style them in a few styles you did on 'A'. I like the french braid and the curly pigtails.

Other: This is still a wonderful challenge and I don't even think it's challenging at all! I want this be a normal routine even after the challenge is done. Thanks Nikki!

Photobucket

Protective style:
Photobucket

Name: Nylah

What was your protective style of choice? I did cornrows in the front and twist in the back

Have you been following the rules? Of course

Have you stuck with your plan of action? I' am still washing, conditioning and moisturizing her hair the same, but I've changed the styles up a little bit from what I had originally planned!

How did your child's style hold up for the first week? Nylah's hair held up pretty well. Towards the end of the week we did a twist out, which turned out very nice!!

Do you plan on restyling for week 4? Yes, I plan on doing box braids.

____________________________

I am a little late on posting this, but we are technically done with this challenge. I love all of week 3's styles and updates. You are all doing such a great job and as always the children are just adorable! I look forward to seeing/hearing week 4 update so get it in as soon as possible so we can decide the winner of the Bee Mine Products! Yay! :)

Thanks again to everyone who signed their child(ren) up. Also big thanks to Bee Mine Products for being so generous with your giveaway!


___________________________

Please email me your child's next protective style picture. If you did not restyle please send me what their previous style looks like the weekend of June 4th. Also email me by June 6th a recently updated picture (preferably taken the weekend of June 4th-June 6th) of your child's new protective style to show how it is holding up. Subject: Protective Styling Challenge Week 4

beadsbraidsbeyond@yahoo.com

These are *NEW* questions!

Answer the following questions in your email: (highlight, press CTRL + C on your keyboard, and paste in email)

Name:
What was your protective style of choice for week 4? (if you did not restyle, let me know what last weeks style was)
Did you follow the rules for the entire month?
Did you stick with your plan of action? (if you changed anything let us know)
How did your child's style hold up for the week 4? (if you did not restyle, let me know how their previous style is holding up)
Did you learn anything during this challenge?
Do you think you will be doing protective styles more often?
Other: (optional)

If you switch up the style by doing a ponytail or pigtails or anything, feel free to send those pictures in as well.


I look forward to hearing from you all soon! Happy Styling!

8 comments :

  1. Good job everybody!! I have really enjoyed this challenge. It's been great seeing so many moms committed to making sure their child(ren) have healthy hair! I can't wait to see the week 4 pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job mamas...I cant wait til my little girl is old enough to wear some of these styles. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so much fun to read! Great work everyone! Your kids are just TOO cute!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job mommies. Hey Nikki, I sent in the update for this style but I don't see it in the post, I wanted to know did you receive it? The subject was protective style challenge 3 update. I think I might have sent it before you asked for the update. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff Mamas, I loved being a part of the challenge w/ ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great jobs.. you've all been following the action plan to the t.. great work.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.