Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Product Review: Bee Mine Shampoo & Conditioner

Bee Mine


Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo

The Claim: Our all natural shampoo will gently cleanse but give you the strength, shine and manageability you desire. We've added essential oils of peppermint and tea tree to cleanse the scalp and stimulate growth. Along with a special blend of moisturizing oils, proteins & vitamins that will give your hair a sensational balance and beautiful appearance.

Price: $12.97 8oz

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Palm Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Distilled Water, Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Glycerin, Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Potassium Hydroxide, Guar Gum, Peppermint Essential Oil, Tea Tree Essential Oil & Fragrance.

Review: A had quite a bit of build up in the front of her hair. I hadn't washed her scalp in about 2 weeks and when I gave her 6 big cornrows I used a little too much ORS Lock & Twist Gel on the top of her cornrows. I thought for sure I would have to wash her scalp at least twice to get rid of it. I applied a little over a quarter sized amount of Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo to her scalp and gently massaged with the balls of my finger tips. I massaged her scalp for about 5 minutes, focusing on the front where she had the build up. I rinsed with warm water and looked very closely at her scalp to see if it needed another wash, much to my surprise, it didn't! Her scalp was very clean, the shampoo removed all of the build up she had from the Lock & Twist gel. This shampoo had a nice, light scent.

Warning: One of our readers brought this to my attention when using lavender and tea tree products in boys (and some girls). This is unfortunate since it's a great shampoo. It seems to be a very rare case but it is always smart to be cautious! (Thanks Melissa!) So, this shampoo is probably best used on adults. UPDATE: After reading other reports, I think I will continue to use products with lavedener and tea tree oil. See other reports here (PDF) & here.




Bee Mine Avocado Cream Balanced Conditioner

The Claim: This nourishing conditioner is enriched with pro-vitamins, extracts & proteins that compact the cuticle layer of the hair resulting in nourished hair that isn't weighed down. It will leave your hair silky, soft, bouncy and more manageable.

Price: $12.97 8oz

Ingredients: : Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Lavendula angustifolia (Organic Lavender) Distillate, Anthemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile) Distillate, Cetearyl Alcohol(vegetable-based emulsifier), Ricinus communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Avocado Butter, Avocado Oil, Stearalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), Panthenol (Vitamin B Complex), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Salix nigra (Organic Black Willow Bark) Extract, Fragrance

Review: Thank goodness for Bee Mine Avoacado Cream Balanced Conditioner. I used this conditioner when I did the not so perfect/big no no thing. This conditioner, like the shampoo, had a nice, light scent. It had great slip which really helped me remove some of the knots and tangles she had. A little goes a long way, which is great because I only had 2oz. After detangling her hair, I put it in 3 big braids and let the conditioner sit for a few minutes, afterwards I rinsed the conditioner out while her braids were still in. I took her out of the tub, got her dressed, took down each braid and her hair felt amazingly soft. I could still smell the scent of the conditioner, which was nice! I applied our shea butter/coconut oil mix to three sections of her hair and banded it for bed. I definitely liked this conditioner.


Here's her wet hair after being banded for bed. I braided the ends. Her hair was very soft and smelled great!

Photobucket

You can purchase Bee Mine Products on their website.


Disclosure: The product(s) were sent to me free of charge from the company or PR agency for the purpose of this review. My opinions are my own and are not influenced by any other part.

17 comments :

  1. As always, your daughter's hair is amazingly beautiful. Even her going-to-sleep hair looks adorable enough to wear to school.

    Potassium Hydroxide is the same chemical used in some relaxers like they do Calcium Hydroxide. In conditioners/shampoos, Potassium Hydroxide is used to balance pH/preserve and is used in much smaller amounts than in a relaxer, but that's kinda iffy... Gotta research that one.

    Otherwise, these products sound like they get the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will certainly look into that. I read something about it on NC I believe. Someone said something about something breaking down the chemical after it's mixed. LOL! That sounds confusing, I will have to find the link!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it! Here's the direct link:

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=93959&page=2

    ReplyDelete
  4. WARNING!!! Do NOT use Tea Tree Oil or Lavender on boys!!!

    Our pediatritian informed me that lavender and tea tree oil have estrogen that can cause breast growth. In the last 5 years she has seen 4 cases of breast growth on African-American boys who use products with Tea Tree Oil and Lavender. She said this is more common in African-American boys because many products made for African-American skin and hair contain these two ingredients. (She has also seen 1 case of a caucasian boy with this issue).

    You might want to post a warning next to the first product :)

    Melissa P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Melissa, first I googled Tea Tree shampoo kids (something like that) and a lot of natural products came up for children. Then I googled something with "hormone" in it and this article came up:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16906552

    Sounds very rare, but interesting info indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for doing a review on this! I've been wanting to try it but keep punkin out addin all the products to my cart but never pressing submit lol. I love your blog and truly value your opinion! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI... coconut oil is really good for hair. its makes our hair look shining naturally .


    Bicone Beads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the reviews! I wish I could buy EVERYTHING based on your reviews! Thanks for these

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nikki. Yes that tea tree oil can have some bad reactions for boys from what I've read. Too bad for me because I have all boys ...one with allergies to cocnut and the other to peanuts...I want to try cocnut oil so bad because of the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, there goes the lavender oil i add to our hair spritz. thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, many doctors and scientists have pointed out that there are multiple problems with the paper the NEJM published on lavender/tea tree use and Prepubertal Gynecomastia.

    The sample was small (3 patients), the products or ingredient lists were not in the initial report, other known endocrine-disruptors that the boys were likely exposed to were not considered as possible causes, and the lab testing deeply flawed. The rebuttals were not as widely reported, or as easily found, as the initial study, although the NEJM did publish a letter signed by several physicians pointing out the problems with the study.

    Unfortunately, that one study drew conclusions on what might be unsound science, and those conclusions have been widely reported as fact.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Nikki
    I was just wondering have you ever tried the Mixed Chicks product line. I was wondering if the products really do work. I need something to moistuize and define my curls. If you have any suggestions please comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went from dark brown to blond and used for Sunsilk hair damaged and dry (orange bottle), it kept my hair in good condition and it has always been brilliant.

    thank you for sharing :)

    cheer

    ReplyDelete
  15. just want to say this is a fabulous site! i followed the link from Bee Mine products. found your tip on the goody hair bands great, gonna pick some up today. i was using the dollar store kind and had the breakage on my 4 yr old's hair. A's hair is gorgeous and you seem to work hard to keep it healthy, but i have to think some of it is just in her genes. you seem to have great hair too. i appreciate all the tips and will be bookmarking this site!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you like healthy chemical free shampoos (and I do), the Made from Earth Tea Tree Shampoo is a real treat. It contains real tea tree and peppermint oils that produce a tingly sensation when put to work. I have pretty short hair so a quarter-sized dollop is plenty. I rub it into my wet hair and soon feel the cleansing sensation of the peppermint oils. After just a few minutes I rinse it out and my hair feels very clean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the tip on banding for bed time, it has helped so much with my daughters hair being so tangled and knotted in the mornings before school. i am too lazy to do as many as you have to on a though!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.