Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Woven & Criss Cross Cornrows




I asked Rae of Tweeny Hair if she'd like to submit Syd's new 'do as a guest post, she agreed so here you go. Enjoy!


Ok, this post is going to have a lot of pictures because I'm just not too good at explaining what I'm doing. It's easier for me to just show you...and hopefully that will be more helpful for you, as well. :)

To start this style, I parted Syd's hair from ear to ear and cornrowed the back half of her hair straight down.

After this, I parted out a large square on the top of her head. I put a cornrow straight across the front and tied both sides out of the way for now.

I parted out a triangle in the front left corner of this square. I didn't do anything with this triangle yet - I just tied it out of the way until later.

Then I made a cornrow next to that triangle. After that cornrow, I parted out another strip of hair and tied it out of the way until later.

I continued this pattern as I moved diagonally from the front left to the back right corner of the square. You are basically making parallel parts but only cornrowing every other section of hair. I had 4 cornrows and 5 strips of loose hair when I finished.

Next I moved to the front right corner of the square. I parted the hair (moving over the previously made cornrows) to make a cornrow that crosses over the cornrows that were already there.

I did the same thing next to the cornrow I just made. You will have a strip of hair that has a few cornrows running through it. Cornrow the strip of hair you just parted out. When you move over the earlier cornrows, you'll have to do a couple stitches where you don't add any hair.

When you've moved all the way to the back of the square, you should have a pattern that looks like this:

Now it's time to move over to those side sections. This is the shape of the section of hair I was left with after I made the square.

I wanted to do two criss cross cornrows on each side, so I split this section in fourths, parting in half horizontally and then vertically.

Then I cornrowed the section on the top left, and when I got to the center I moved to the section of hair on the lower right. Repeat, this time moving from the section on the bottom left up to the top right.



Repeat that with the hair on the other side and you're done!



Thanks Rae and Syd! Make sure you stop by and check out their blog, Tweeny Hair.

12 comments :

  1. This is really nice! Great job Rae!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this style! reposting to share with others :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, and it seems really simple. Hopefully I can do it. Looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks great, not sure I can follow that design, I feel like I need to buy a geometry set!! Awesome style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very beautiful, will need to try this one time..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this style...I've done it many times before and each time it turns out better than the last time :) Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know how to do the woven braids where each braid goes under and then over - like a woven basket or something? if so, please send me a link! lol im dying to try this but cant figure out how!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the pics! I have a 3 year old so its so much help when I can SEE the steps instead of looking at her head trying to figure out what the heck Im supposed to be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this hairstyle is really pretty and different i like it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this hair style too my cousin is my daughter hair Braider and she us gonna try it also that is a plus for the steps and pictures if you have more please post more steps and pictures I'm quite sure it would help alot of more parents. Out once again love it

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.