Friday, February 25, 2011

Mini Twists: More Info + Your Questions Answered



Here's the mini twist post I promised! These were inspired by KinkyKurlyQueen, I posted her video earlier, you can view that here.

I shampooed A's scalp on Wednesday night using Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo. I rinsed the shampoo and I deep conditioned her hair for 15 minutes with Bee Mine Bee-U-Ti-Ful Deep Conditioner. I just left it in while she played in the tub. I rinsed the deep conditioner, got her out of the tub and added a generous amount of Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer. I put her hair in 4 large cornrows to stretch it out for styling. She wore her hair in the 4 large cornrows the next day. That night, I decided to try to do her mini twists. I removed her cornrows and added a generous amount of virgin coconut oil (Vitamin Shoppe's brand) to her hair. I split her hair from ear to ear and tied off the top section. I looked at the back of her hair and began to feel a little overwhelemed. It wasn't as stretched out as I would have liked and I wasn't sure how I should part her hair so I just began parting sections at the nape. I added a tiny bit of Bee Mine Curly Butter to each section and immediately knew it was just too heavy for her tiny twists. Maybe it was a combo of the curly butter and coconut oil but it wasn't working. I did about 6 mini twists and after noticing how loose the twists were at the roots I threw in the towel.

I decided to band her hair in 4 sections and work on it the next day. And that's what I did. The next day I removed the bands from the back section of her hair. Her hair was already parted from ear to ear. I took another look at KinkyCurlyQueen's mini twist picture and decided this time I would part at an angle, or slant. See picture below.



Already her twists looked better from the day before so I just continued parting at an angle and twisting. This made the process go by much quicker. After the back section was down I moved to the top right section. I parted at an angle from about her forehead to right infront of her right ear. I continued parting at an angle (or slant) the entire time until I was completely finished with her twists. I highly recommend parting sections off (about 3 or 4) and parting at an angle the entire time. Finish one section at a time.



I got some questions on our Facebook page about the twists so I decided to answer them here, too.

How long did the mini twists take?
They took about 6 1/2 hours but we took breaks, changed positions, watched some DVD's, etc.

What products did you use?
The products were already added the day before. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Vitamine Shoppe's brand). Next time I will not be so heavy handed with the coconut oil, lol.

Are these sister twists or regular two strand twists?
These are regular two strand twists. I didn't make them as small as KinkyKurlyQueen but I did them exactly how she did them in her video.

Did you blow dry her hair?
No, I do not blow dry her hair. I banded her hair in 4 sections.

How long will you leave these in?
As long as they will last! I will be happy with 3-4 weeks.



I have never done twists this small on A's hair before so this will be a learning process for me as well. I have no idea what to expect. I don't know how long they will last, though I'm hoping for 3-4 weeks at least. A absolutely LOVES it! I asked her what she thought and she looked in the mirror with a big smile and started giggling. We're going to have some fun styling these so check back for updates!

12 comments :

  1. A's hair looks beautiful! I love it. My fingers ache looking at all of those twists, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out so beautiful! Great job!



    http://precious-curls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...looks amazing and hats off to momma for her patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv the mini twists! 6 1/2 hours though! I think my cousin would die if i asked her to put some of these in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! and all the questions answered helps, too. :) I don't think Q (or I!) have enough hair to really do a style like this justice, but it is tempting to try! It's very very cute!

    ~Karli
    www.curlyhairdoideas.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, hope it lasts a long time for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's the difference between sister twists and two strand twists?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG they are beautiful!!!!! I don't know if I have the time to do them....but they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I am going to try this again. I posted a comment and questions and when I clicked "post comment" my comment dissappeared. Love the mini twists. They are beautiful. I do have a question (or 2) for you. You talk a lot about stretching the hair before styling. Why do you stretch the hair? Does it make it easier to style? Does this mean you style her hair dry? I have a lot to learn so just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mini-twists, they look great on A's hair. Seeing as I'm 'all over' hair at the moment I wanted to pass on a suggestion that I picked up at a kids birthday party I went to recently. The birthday girl in question had a cute two-strand twists style in her hair and when I was asking her mum about it she showed me that she 'anchored' the twist but doing a couple of stitches of a braid at the root and then moving into a two-strand twist she said she felt that it helped the twists stay in longer and not to become loose at the root. Twists don't stay in great on my daughter's hair but I'll try this method to see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wondering how long it too to take the two strand twists out?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.