Friday, July 22, 2011

Diva Spotlight: Kylah



Tell us a little about yourself & your daughter:
Kylah is 3 1/2 years old and is sometimes called Ky. She loves the outdoors, playing dress up, getting her hair styled, coloring and playing with her little sister. I'm not sure what her hair type is but it's very thin, medium length, with loose curls.



What is your daughter's hair care routine?
I wash Kylah's hair every other day. After her bath I brush all of her tangles out with a leave-in conditioner. I don't do a lot of styles on her too often because her hair is so thin and I've been noticing hair breakage. I tried soaking the bands in coconut oil and olive oil but that did not help. So I've toned it down to 1 hair style every 2 weeks and leave the style in for maybe 3-5 days, it just depends on the style. If it uses a lot of rubber bands i don't leave it in long, but if it's just corn rows I'll leave those in until they start to get fuzzy.

What kind of products do you use on her hair?
Beautiful Curls shampoo and leave-in conditioner. I use Bee Mine Curly Butter to extenuate her curls if she's wearing it down and when styling her hair it makes it last a little longer, in my opinion :)

Have you ever used chemicals on her hair?
I've used hairspray to hold some of her styles and after taking it out her hair was so dry and brittle. Never again!!

Can we see a few of your favorite styles?
Sure! I love the "veil" style and any style that involves cornrows and beads! I also love her hair natural and free :)







How did you learn to do all of this?
I was clueless until my sister adopted my niece from Haiti a little over a year ago. She's the same age as Kylah. Before, she would wear the half up, half down hairstyle, pony tails, pig tails. Never really any variety. As soon as my niece came home my sister started braiding, beading, etc. her hair. I was so impressed and inspired and asked my sister to teach me! She's given me a lot of advice and also suggested I check out a blog called Beads, Braids and Beyond :) Sometimes she even cornrow's Ky's hair for me, because I have yet not mastered the skill yet!

How does your daughter feel about her hair? Can we see her favorite style?
Kylah LOVES her hair. She flips it around and twirls "like a pwincess". When I ask her how she wants her hair she says "down". So I'd say her favorite hairstyle is all natural which I've posted a picture of. She loves when I style her hair also and always says she looks like a "pwincess" and "bootiful" afterwords. I usually let her choose what hair accessories she wants, as long as they match of course :)

If you had to share one hair care tip, what would it be?
Never use elastic rubber bands for more than a few hours or even less time if you can!! They can cause major breakage. (at least on my daughter's hair type)

5 comments :

  1. Can we see pics of the Haitian niece with her hair styles? Is this baby Dominican? That would be awesome!! Peace and diplomacy through hair and family. How great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nicole- She is half white & half black. She gets confused as being Hispanic very often! Thanks everyone and thank you Nikki!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.