Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Braided, Twisted & Rolled + Introducing New Blog: Braid with Me

I am so excited to bring you this post from our guest blogger, Aisha. The style is amazing, of course! No surprise there but you all have been asking and asking if Aisha and Anisa have their own blog, well, I am here to tell you today that they DO!!! :) It is brand spanking new so head on over and show them lots of love! Make sure you follow their blog for more amazing styles like this one. Blog: Braid with Me and be sure to stop by and "like" their Facebook page! Aisha & Anisa have been around Beads, Braids & Beyond for a year or so now so I am very excited to watch their blog grow. :)

Before heading out on a family vacation earlier this month,  I picked up the July issue of Essence magazine. Once everyone was situated on the plane, I began to thumb through the pages when  I saw it! It was the Super Naturals gallery on page 60. Out of the 21 pictures that were featured, my eyes were focused on one in particular. It was a cornrowed, rolled and possibly twisted creation and it was beautiful! I knew that I had to try it!!
I started with clean, detangled, moisturized and stretched hair.  Anisa's hair was moisturized and styled using Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer, Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter and Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk.
Braid with Me
I began by parting her hair into 3 sections - one large section on each side and one thinner section in the middle of her head.
I secured two of the sections with an ouchless band and began braiding one of the larger sections. I made my first cornrow at the nape of her neck. I made a somewhat curved part and began braiding.  I continued the cornrow all the way down, but only on the cornrows at the nape of her neck on each side. I continued cornrowing her hair my making parts of varying widths and curves. The remaining cornrows were formed into two strand twists. 
I continued the same steps on the other larger side until that side was complete. Once it was complete I secured the twists with an ouchless band so I could add two strand twists to the middle section. 
This is how her hair looked once I was done cornrowing/braiding and twisting.
The next step was to form the rolls or "humps." I began by grabbing a small section in the back and rolling it under. Due to her length, I had to roll her hair around itself several times. I secured the roll with a hair pin.   I continued by grabbing sections, rolling them, and pinning them into place. One thing that  I found useful was to secrue the rolls to each other. So lets say that the first roll is Roll A and the next roll I made is that I made is Roll B. Once Roll B was formed,  I pinned it to Roll A, Roll C was pinned to Roll B and so forth. Once I was done, I'd formed a total of 6 rolled sections. Keep in mind that each "section" contained more than one roll due to her length. 
The results!!
 
I really love this style!! We had to go the grocery store shortly after I finished this style and she received several compliments.
Night Routine:
At night I will remove her pins and moisturize her hair using Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk. My alternative moisturizer will be the Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz. She will wear a satin bonnet that ties around her head. She also uses a satin pillowcase.
Outfit:
I found the Barbie shirt on the Hot Topic website. It is actually a junior's size XS. I added the belt to change up the look. The leggings are from The Children's Place and the sandals are from Gap.

10 comments :

  1. This hairstyle is super cute. I may have to try this out on my baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it...i dont have kids but now i wanna try this on myself lol! beautiful hair and beautiful lil girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous and a wonderful blend of funky whimsical with realistic maintainability. I would love to get this done for my daughter before the ballet bun comes back. Congrats on the new site Aisha. You ladies are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's about time, going to like and follow now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome style! Heading over to follow her now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this on my girls hair! Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love this style! I will def try this out on my blessed curly gurlz :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a long time coming! Congrats on the blog, and as usual a great job on Anisa's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like those hairstyles. They are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you already know its over. FOLLOWING!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.