- Start with clean detangled hair. I cowashed Anisa’s hair with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner the day before doing this style. I applied Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer after rinsing and detangling her hair. I put her hair into several large plaits to let it dry. Before starting her hair, I removed the plaits and banded her hair for about an hour to stretch it some more.
- I removed the bands and parted her hair into two sections.
- I secured one side with a Goody’s Ouchless band and made my first part on the opposite side. The part was made at the nape. I secured the rest of her hair with another ouchless band and began braiding. The braids should go towards the part that is in the middle. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer while braiding her hair.
- Continue to make parts in any design that you choose and braid.
- I continued to make parts and braid her hair. I went ahead and released the hair on that side and made a part at the top for one of her ponytails. You can do this before you start braiding if you wish. I secured the hair for the ponytail with another ouchless band and continued to braid her hair.
- I finished braiding her hair on that side and I went ahead and made one of the ponytails just to show you how it will look. You do not have to make your ponytails at this point.
- Now you can begin braiding the other side. Begin by once again parting the hair at the nape. I like for the braids on both sides to line up but that is up to you. If you cannot get the braids to line up exactly, don’t worry about it! It will be covered by the ponytails.
- I continued to make my parts and braid her hair. You will continue to do this until you are done braiding that side. I chose to braid Anisa’s hair almost all the way down. You do not have to do this. I did it to stretch her hair out some more. You can make your second ponytail in the front at this point.
- I began to section her braids to make the ponyhawk. The first time I did this style, I used rubberbands. This time I chose to use ouchless bands instead. Nikki likes to soak her rubberbands in olive oil prior to using them on A’s hair. So if you are using rubberbands, you may want to do this. I made a total of 16 cornrows – 8 on each side. I gathered 4 braids (2 braids from each side) in order to make one ponytail. I ended up with 4 ponytails in all.
- My next step was to unravel her braids in order to make the ponytails. I made 2 two-strand twists in each section so she ended up with 8 two-strand twists in all. I applied Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter to her hair prior to making each ponytail.
- I secured her front ponytails with black ouchless bands and the ponyhawk ponytails were secured with dark pink and light pink bands. I finished off with pink barrettes and a pink bow twisty on each of the front ponytails. The twisties were on top of the black ouchless bands.
Total time: 1 – 1.5 hours (Keep in mind that I am stopping to take pictures while I am braiding so it probably won’t take you as long).
- Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer
- Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter
- Goody’s Ouchless bands
- Plastic clips (used to separate the hair while braiding)
- Comb for parting
- Wide tooth comb
Stop by tomorrow to see how Aisha maintains Anisa's PonyHawk style and to see some updated pictures!