Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Step-by-Step PonyHawk Tutorial

Photobucket

Photobucket


Instructions:
  1. Start with clean detangled hair. I cowashed Anisa’s hair with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner the day before doing this style. I applied Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer after rinsing and detangling her hair. I put her hair into several large plaits to let it dry. Before starting her hair, I removed the plaits and banded her hair for about an hour to stretch it some more.
  2. Photobucket
  3. I removed the bands and parted her hair into two sections.
  4. Photobucket
  5. I secured one side with a Goody’s Ouchless band and made my first part on the opposite side. The part was made at the nape. I secured the rest of her hair with another ouchless band and began braiding. The braids should go towards the part that is in the middle. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer while braiding her hair.
  6. Photobucket
  7. Continue to make parts in any design that you choose and braid.
  8. Photobucket
  9. I continued to make parts and braid her hair. I went ahead and released the hair on that side and made a part at the top for one of her ponytails. You can do this before you start braiding if you wish. I secured the hair for the ponytail with another ouchless band and continued to braid her hair.
  10. Photobucket Photobucket
  11. I finished braiding her hair on that side and I went ahead and made one of the ponytails just to show you how it will look. You do not have to make your ponytails at this point.
  12. Photobucket
  13. Now you can begin braiding the other side. Begin by once again parting the hair at the nape. I like for the braids on both sides to line up but that is up to you. If you cannot get the braids to line up exactly, don’t worry about it! It will be covered by the ponytails.
  14. Photobucket
  15. I continued to make my parts and braid her hair. You will continue to do this until you are done braiding that side. I chose to braid Anisa’s hair almost all the way down. You do not have to do this. I did it to stretch her hair out some more. You can make your second ponytail in the front at this point.
  16. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  17. I began to section her braids to make the ponyhawk. The first time I did this style, I used rubberbands. This time I chose to use ouchless bands instead. Nikki likes to soak her rubberbands in olive oil prior to using them on A’s hair. So if you are using rubberbands, you may want to do this. I made a total of 16 cornrows – 8 on each side. I gathered 4 braids (2 braids from each side) in order to make one ponytail. I ended up with 4 ponytails in all.
  18. Photobucket
  19. My next step was to unravel her braids in order to make the ponytails. I made 2 two-strand twists in each section so she ended up with 8 two-strand twists in all. I applied Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter to her hair prior to making each ponytail.
  20. Photobucket Photobucket
  21. I secured her front ponytails with black ouchless bands and the ponyhawk ponytails were secured with dark pink and light pink bands. I finished off with pink barrettes and a pink bow twisty on each of the front ponytails. The twisties were on top of the black ouchless bands.

Total time: 1 – 1.5 hours (Keep in mind that I am stopping to take pictures while I am braiding so it probably won’t take you as long).

Products used:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stop by tomorrow to see how Aisha maintains Anisa's PonyHawk style and to see some updated pictures!

27 comments :

  1. I love this style it is sooo cute, your daughter has a beatiful head of hair, Great Job Mom can't wait to see more tut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice style. She can do a different style each day with this. One ponytail in the back, one french braid in the front going to the side and a french braid in back, one ponytail in front, or a bun in the back. The creator of this style gets 2 thumbs up! Gonna use this once my baby girl's hair is long enough

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this style the first time I saw it. I'm so excited for the tutorial. She is such a pretty little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute Hairstlye!!! I can't wait until Danaiya's hair is long enough to try this...but I have to learn how to braid 1st...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aisha, I like this style. Can't wait until tomorrow to see how you maintain it. I notice that you say you do her hair every week. Do you shampoo or co-wash?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the clear tutorial, much appreciated. I have just completed a slightly messier version on my own daughters hair.
    Angelicque

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this style too! I will be trying this style on my daughter next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful hair! What do you use to smooth her ponytails and prevent frizzies? I love the style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Aisha for sharing step by step process. Your daughter's hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute style and gorgeous hair! I can't wait to have a little girl of my own and try these out on her natural hair :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this style! Did this on Trin's hair last week for our trip to New Orleans - loved the back but wasn't feeling the front. Now I see I needed to add a few more braids. Repeat in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love love love this style.. great description and break down...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone!! I really do appreciate it!

    @ Tata - Both. It really just depends on the previous style and what I'm going to do next.

    @ My2gurlz - The products that I use for daily upkeep (other than the products listed) will be listed in the update tomorrow. Be sure to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tutorial!! When I learn to cornrow, this will definitely be one of the styles that I try. On a side note, I love Anisa's room!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great style aisha so intricate but you know everything other than one ponytail is intricate to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay I know I was supposed to be looking at her hair in the pics but I couldn't help but notice her room. She has a really cute bedroom. Sorry totally off topic. I love this style though. I did it on my daughter when I saw it posted in your hair share. Love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very cute style. I finally have my Bee Mine products and they instantly worked great on Lady bugs hair *woot woot* lol

    Can anybody tell me what plaits are? I originally thought they we're braids but I'm not sure if i'm mistaken or not.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aisha: I've really been enjoying your style posts. Your daughter's hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok I will do a co-wash this week on my daughter's hair and see if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute, her hair always looks so smooth and shiny...good job! Can't wait to try it on my girls' hair when its longer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aisha this style is gorgeous. I really appreciate the tutorials as I am trying to get my daughter's hair in better shape yet keep her looking cute. I lack the creativity to come up with styles like these myself so the I really appreciate the help!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am beyond elated to have found this blog. I've already emailed a few parents of some of my students. This is MY hair!!! I've searched and searched for someone who had the exact hair texture, wave pattern, etc. as me as a child, and here she is! It's lovely. I love Aisha's hair, it's like looking at myself as a little girl. Soon my hair will be 100% healthy like yours again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is another great style! I love that you can swith up the style and make a few different ones out of it. You're awesome with hair mama! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did this style for church and though I tweaked just a bit it was beautiful. My daughter loved it and she got so many compliments. Keep this step by step tutorials coming.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.