Friday, July 2, 2010

Braided Cornrow Star

Bumping this back up for 4th of July

Repost from 2009

Photobucket

I did this style on A last year for 4th of July. I thought I would go ahead and repost it because 4 of July is coming up, my main reason is The Children's Place have bows very similar to the ones I used (from Gymboree) out right now. Click *here* to see the bows. They are 2 packs for $5 (so that's 4 bows) The Children's Place hair accessories usually sell out pretty quickly so you might want to get on it!

Photobucket


Instructions:
  • Start with completely detangled, moisturized hair
  • Start parting a middle part in hair with your rat tail comb, part about 3 inches back
  • Start parting your star. You will be parting 5 triangles. This may seem difficult but it's just like drawing a star on paper, only you're using a comb in hair. Much like the cornrow heart style
  • Tie off any hair that is left out of your star
  • After completely parting your star, you will start adding cornrows around the star. This is not a continous cornrow. You will actually be making 10 small cornrows along each corner of the cornrow. You will start at each point of the star and cornrow down, going towards the middle of the star. Once you get to the end of the cornrow, do a regular braid about 1 inch down and leave the rest of the hair out.
  • Once you add all 10 cornrows around the star, put all of the hair from the star in a ponytail, this will be in the middle of your star. Do single braids or twists, as many as you want, and add your accessories.
  • For the hair that is left out around the star, you can add separate ponytails. I added two in the front and two in the back, did single braids, and added beads.

We got the kids 4th of July pictures done as well. Unfortunately they didn't cooperate so the best picture we got of the two of them together was kind of silly. lol I still like it though. :)

Photobucket
By the way, A's outfit (her skirt was an American flag) along with her hair accessories was from Gymboree. They have a new line out this year, it's cute but I'm not as impressed as last year.

23 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this style for the 4th of July! How do you plan to do 'A's hair for the 4th since we are doing the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. A's hair was too pretty. If no one knew what day it was, looking at A helped them. That was a great way to show your love for the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Fabulous! ... yeah, what are you planning for this year??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone!

    Nicole, the challenge is actually only for the month of May, so we will be done by the time the 4th comes around.

    I'm still not sure what I will be doing but I will keep you all posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thats how u do it!! Thank you Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is too cute. I'm gonna try it out. I'll send pics when I do. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! It looks great.
    I'm amazed that she stayed still for all of that styling. Baby is way too young (and her hair too fine) to cooperate for anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! So what do you use to bead her hair with?! I have some cute new beads but the methods I have tried don't work so well...
    D Evans

    ReplyDelete
  10. What products did you use for this style? My daughter's hair is a very similar texture but much shorter. I'm having a hard time finding a product that keeps her hair moisturized and a product with good hold for twists and braids. Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the arrows, showing the direction. maybe one of these days, i'll try out my skills. haven't braided hair since i was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply love this website! I have been searching for sites to help me do my girls hair.And my friend suggested this Blog page to me. I love how you even give step by step directions on doing the hairstyles. Keep up the Good work!! I'm going to be tryin some of the styles out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this style and those pics are soo cute of A and little man I'm going to have to try this one of my baby girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for this blog! I run dry on ideas for my daughter's hair quite often. I'm still a beginner with cornrowing; my finger placement is still crazy, even though my dd's braids look decent. I will be trying some of your other styles in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. check out clarie's for 4th of july hair accessories

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to try this on Bre hair today, hopefully it comes out as pretty as "A"'s did, how long did it last I just think I'm going to keep it up for about 3 or 4 days

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to start practicing I will do this style this 4th of July

    ReplyDelete
  18. awww i totally adore this one

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look so cute in the pictures lol...Love the style

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.