Monday, July 12, 2010

Diva Spotlight: Baby Big Hair

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tell us a little about yourself & your daughter:

I'm a working wife and mother and my daughter is 2 years old. She has 3C, 4A and 4b hair, and a LOT of it. She was born with a head full of hair and I vowed that she would never go bald; and she didn't!! I love styling her hair and accessories, it relaxes me and I enjoy seeing her little face light up when she sees the finished product. My daughter is very self confident and loves her natural hair. I believe that stems from the healthy attitude we foster at home. We recently started blogging about "big hair" after constantly having strangers stop us about caring for black/african-american hair after seeing my daughter's hair, in particular her curly fro. I thank Braids Beads and Beyond for giving us inspiration to step out and try blogging. Some of our other favorite blog sites are Happy Girl Hair, Her Best Hair and Babes in Hairland. Our blog can be found at http://babybighair.com/

What is your daughter's hair care routine?

I wash her hair every 2-3 weeks. I typically retouch her styles every 2-3 days or as needed, so I try to do fun creative styles that don't require more than 30 mins or so to retouch/style. She wears her hair out sometimes on the weekends after I wash it, but its always paired down to a quick style for the week. She wears a satin or silk cap to bed and recently I made a little silk pillowcase for her toddler pillow.

What kind of products do you use on her hair?

My staple line is Kinky-Curly: Come Clean Shampoo, Knot Today Leave In Conditioner, Curling Custard (* especially for her curly fro) and Tiny Twirls Styler. Other products:

Other Products:
Kinky-Curly: Spiral Spritz
Carol's Daughter - Mimosa Hair Honey
Taliah Waajid - Kinky Wavy, Natural Easy Herbal Comb Out
Jane Carter Solution - Condition and Sculpt
Giovanni- Leave in Direct

Natural Ingredients Used:
Extra Light Olive Oil
Baking Soda (for deep conditioning)

I want to try Bee Mine products next..

Have you ever used chemicals on her hair?

No and I do not plan too. The decision will be hers when she is of age. Though I'd be surprised as she likes to be different, even at 2!

Can we see a few of your favorite styles?

Sure, hope you like. Please excuse the dirty mirror in my pics!!! Her curly fro is my favorite, though the most sensitive hairstyle. I'm also fond of twists (and outs) and knots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

How did you learn to do all of this?

Playing around on my own and blogs such as Braids, Beads and Beyond and Babes in Hairland to name a few.

How does your daughter feel about her hair? Can we see her favorite style?

After I'm done styling it, she loves to look at her hair in the mirror and shake her curly fro or 2/3 strand twists. She also tells strangers when they compliment her, "MY HAIR!!" excitingly as she plays with a few pieces. LOL!

If you had to share one hair care tip, what would it be?

Must have: silk cap or pillow.

___________________________________

How CUTE is BabyBigHair? Gorgeous head of hair as well! Mom is doing an amazing job! Keep it up. Make sure you check out their blog http://babybighair.com/

___________________________________

Click here to see how you can sign your Diva up!

25 comments :

  1. Beautiful family!

    baby Big Hair has some of the most beautiful curls I have ever seen, with like absolute zero frizz too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love it! So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful head of think hair. I will definitely check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is SO.PRECIOUS.
    *___*
    ahhhh so beautiful. you should post some pics here http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-hairstyles-pictures/index/Very-short-hair-styles.html

    i'm sure mommies are searching for HAIRspiration for their kiddies! i wish my mom did, LOL
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/super-kinky/what-are-protective-styles

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. her hair is so healthy and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is a cutie pie. Her hair is so thick and pretty. You are doing a great job with her hair.

    Just wanted to know, why do you choose to wash her hair every 2-3 weeks?I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous child! She's lucky to have a mommy that embraces her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone! Thanks for the comments and encouragement!! I love my baby big hair☺ Her curly fro is my FAV and so far I've only been able to achieve the look with Kinky-Curly products, in particular the Knot Today Leave In and Curling Custard. Here's their video on how to apply and eventually I'll do a step by step on my blog:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkWd-MyVdE&feature=player_embedded -

    Afterwards, I send her and the hub off to the playground/park to let hair air dry. Once I was in a pinch for church and finish drying her hair a little bit (it was 75% dry) by blow-drying on low with a ‘Curling Master’ diffuser attached (made exclusively for curls I bought it years ago at Sally’s while transitioning my own hair). It did the job, but I’d suggest that for older kids and adults.

    @dimples – Her hair is really thick and it takes about 2 and 1/2 hours to wash, detangle & style her; way too long for a toddler - although I used Nikki's chunky braid washing method last time and that did cut back on time quite a bit. Problem is, I have to knock it all out in one sitting or half her head would be done (as she says, Mommy no more hair!), LOL! Also sending her to bed with damp hair doesn’t seem to work. It gets crazy frizzy even with a silk cap. I’ll definitely wash once a week as she gets older. I try to keep light products in her as much as possible so it doesn’t build up between washings. KC’s Tiny Twirls Styler is great for that; though the shipping cost is insane,.=

    @JazBeNatural. I’ll check out those sites. Thanks for the heads up!

    Sorry so long, hope it's informative! Please pass on any suggestions for shorten wash time.. Best – Chloe/BBH

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ baby big hair

    Thanks for the info. It takes me 2 1/2 to 3 hours. One time I let him wear his hair out.. It took me 6 hours to wash, detangle and put into some ponytails. His hair was so matted I had to be gentle and take my time. It paid off because they was no breakage. I only cowash weekly in the summer/hot months but every 2 weeks in the winter/cold months. Only if there's build up I will do a full wash. Have you tried washing your daughters hair while she's in the tub and detangle her hair while the conditioner in still in?I also use a handheld shower which works wonders

    ReplyDelete
  11. @dimples

    I used to do just that in the tub -Absolute disaster. No matter if she had on a visor etc. everything got into her eyes; she's very active in the tub. Especially once I switched from no tears products to adult like organic lines as her grew in thicker. AND she's afraid of the shower head, so the switch to the sink has been a life saver. HHmmmm. Maybe I'll pre-detangle with chunky braids, wash, condition, then give her her bath while the condition sets, then back to the sink rinse out etc. That way I wont rush thru the deep conditioning stage, and it will break the process up a little before styling. And maybe I'll try to ease the shower head in a little over time. Wish me luck, Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love that curly fro!! It's so cute on her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is beautiful!!! Very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Baby Big Hair

    That sounds like a great plan. Let me know how your plan works for you two. Also try the attachment sprayer that you can buy at a beauty supply store that attaches to the faucet or the one hooked up to the sink...it works well.

    Wishing you lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ dimples
    The attachment sprayer works wonders. all mine had to do was look up a little and the pressure of the sprayer did the rest, fast and easy. I miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah and mom your baby is so precious. Love the texture and the curls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your daugher's hair is real thick. I like it alot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Letty

    I know girl. I tell everyone I know or anyone who ask me. It's the best thing that helps with washing anyones hair....I use it on my hair as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww she is adorable.. great work on her hair it looks so thick and healthy... she's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like her twist knots. I have never seen them dont that way in a childs hair. Very cute. Great job mama

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many thanks again all!!

    @Alese. I just started doing those a few months ago and love it. Perfect daycare-school hair style and quick to do in the mornings. They're easy to do as you may already know: just twist, bend around (I invision a flower while doing it), hold each twist down to the scalp with a clip until your done with all twists - rubberband it I normally band it about a 1/2 inch above her ends and carefully swoop them around and under to tuck them in) and your done! you can save the last one or two to connect to other knots. like a veil style.

    @dimples and @letty - OK imma try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you please tell me how baby big hair made the hair style starting from the top going down pictures number 5,6,7 how did she do the little knots/twist(i dont know whats it called thats what im asking for) on the sectioned bun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your daughter's fro...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello my daughter just turn one in April 2012 can you use those products on her hair?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.