Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Product Review: Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme & Organic Coconut Butter Styling Pomade

I have been reading about Darcy's Botanicals products for the longest. I have especially read good reviews from Happy Girl Hair so I finally decided to give them a try. I bought 6 of their products a few weeks ago (I found a discount code through Google!). Shipping time wasn't bad, I ordered August 3rd and the items shipped August 8th, I received them on August 12th. I mentioned I would do a full review in our  Flat Twists to the Side post  so here it is. :) Enjoy!


Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme


The claim: "Our Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme is an all natural hair butter for moisturizing, styling and conditioning your natural coils. It absorbs instantly into hair to replenish much needed moisture, provides softness, sheen & promotes healthy hair growth. This highly moisturizing butter is very thick & concentrated so a little goes a long way. It is perfect for type 3-4 naturals:) It has a very thick concentrated butter-like consistency with the sweet smell of gently African Madagascar Vanilla! Once you try it, you'll be hooked!"


Price: $12.00 8oz jar

Ingredients: Organic Palm Oil, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Madagascar Vanilla, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Candelilla Wax, Organic Castor Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil and Potassium Sorbate.


Review:  I expected this product to be more creamy, as pictured above, but it does not look like the picture. It's creamy but thick, sort of like a paste (see photos below). I can hold the jar upside down and shake it and it will not move. I wouldn't say it easily absorbs in the hair alone but mixed with the Organic Coconut Butter Styling Pomade it goes in nicely. So far, I really like this product. It did a good job holding down the frizz on A's flat twists and her twist out was amazing! Nice and soft but a lot of hold. That same day A got wet in the water they had at the park but her twist out still held up nicely. Even after being wet her twists were not separating as they normally would. Eventually we went to another water park and they were done for but I was surprised they lasted so long. It smells pretty good, like vanilla. The price is very reasonable, especially when you compare it to other natural products. I will definitely be using this again.

I apologize in advance for the blurry pictures. I am borrowing a camera because mine is broken.





Her twist out had been wet for a while here but you can see the twist out is still very defined, holding up really well.




Organic Coconut Butter Styling Pomade


The claim: "If you have been looking for a light styling aid to help you soften and condition your luscious curls, then look no further. Our Organic Coconut Butter Styling Pomade will provide you with the much needed healthy nourishment your curls require along with lovely sheen, softness. Light enough to use as a hairdressing "grease" too. Excellent for all natural styles like locs, twists, braids, afro, and waves. Our pomade is also great for relaxed hair. It is naturally scented with the aroma of fresh organic coconuts."


Price: $12.00 8oz jar


Ingredients: Organic virgin coconut oil, peach kernel oil, beeswax, vitamin e, & vegetable glycerin.


Review: I applied this pomade on top of the Madagascar Creme. I think the two products together are a winning combination. This pomade seemed to make her hair easier for me to work with. It provided a ton of shine, which I loved. I wasn't too fond of the smell, it smells kind of like wax. It's a good product however, I doubt I will repurchase this only because it's so similar to regular virgin coconut oil.

9 comments :

  1. I love the Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme...it gives Syd better braid outs than anything else I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her hair is gorgeous. They must have changed the consistency of the madagascar vanilla styling cream because mine is the exact consistency of the pics. But I did get it a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my DB madagascar vanilla spoiled in less than 3 months. i was so disappointed. :-( stuff spoils quickly here but i never expected that i should have to keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from doing so. IF i spend the money to buy it again, that's what i will do to see if it helps. the smell was rancid! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her twist-out looks so beautiful!! I just got the Styling Creme and I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you please share the discount code you found on google...i looked but could'nt find anything. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that Rory. I guess I need to refrigerate it and a few other products too. I don't like keeping products in my refrigerator though. =/

    I used the discount code Queen for 10 or 15% off. It only took $9 off my order and shipping was $10.50 but I guess it's better than nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her twists look amazing - so shiny and defined :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The really nice thing about the Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream is that it lasts a loooooong time. Definitely worth the money. My daughter's hair is very tightly curled, but silky instead of kinky. I barely use any on her hair, I'll have this jar for years, no kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darcys botanicals is the business okAY!! LOL
    you should try the new curl cream leave in with the curl cream gel... those 2 together..OMG. Ive tried several of her products and have yet to be disappointed :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.