A starts soccer practice today so I knew I needed to do something that would not only hold up well in this hot weather but also hold up well in the water. I have been letting her swim with her hair out a little too much lately which resulted in tangle city. I began working on this style on Saturday with the three layers of cornrows style in mind. I switched it up at the last minute and did 3 cornrowed ponytails. Read below for instructions.
- As usual, I started with dry, stretched, moisturized hair & properly detangling hair.
- If you do not know how to cornrow, please check out our Cornrowing for Beginners post.
- I began by parting a large circle on the top of her head. After I had the circle parted, I tied off the rest of her hair to get it out of my way.
- I started in the middle of the circle with the comb and parted out towards her forehead for the first part. I like the think of this as parting little slices of pizza. Try to make them a triangular shape. I used Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer & Curly Butter on her cornrows.
- I continued the same parting all the way around the circle until I was done.
- I then moved on to the rest of her hair. I started by making a straight part in the back for two pigtails. I tied off the right section and began working on the left. For the first three cornrows in the front, I parted straight parts to the middle of the section. After that I started parting pizza slices again, all the way around until I was done. Same for the right side.
- I used Goody Ouchless ponytail holders to put each cornrowed section into a ponytail and I was all done!
I did the top of this style on Saturday and the other 2 ponytails on Sunday. I believe the total time spent was around 3 hours. You may notice something pretty cool in the background of these pictures, look out for a review in a week or so (I love it!).