Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Healthy Hair Becomes Long Hair - Retaining Length with Natural Hair

Guest post from Tweeny Hair. You can also find Tweeny Hair on Facebook!


The question I get asked most often is some variation of:
"How can I get my (or my daughter's) hair as long as Syd's?"

Unfortunatley, there is no magic formula, cream, or pill. The best advice I can give is to make sure your hair is moisturized and stop being so rough with it.

Dried out hair is more fragile and more likely to break off. Make sure you are keeping those strands nice and moisturized. At this point, I'm sure several of you are thinking, "What products should I use?"

That's actually the second most frequently asked question I receive. I could tell you what products we use most often on Syd's hair, but that might not help. Every head of hair is different. It's a process of trial and error until you find the products you like best for your own hair. Does something make your hair feel dry by the end of the day? If so, I'd suggest moving on and trying something new. If your hair seems too weighed down, go for something a little lighter. It can be frustrating as you search for the "perfect" product or combination of products, but once you discover what works for you, it's smooth sailing and happy hair. (For the record, we use Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and Aussie Moist conditioner more often than any others for moisture.)


The number one reason that hair seems to stop getting any longer is because it is breaking off just as fast (and sometimes faster!) as it is growing. Ripping a brush or comb through your hair is a great way to ensure that it breaks off and negates the length retention you're striving for.

Be gentle. Take your time. Use your fingers to separate your tangled hair as much as possible. Be mindful of how often you are putting beads, barrettes, and rubber bands on the ends of the hair. You don't have to completely eliminate those things, but consistently using them on a daily basis will contribute to breakage (read: lack of length).

And of course, genetics also play a part in the length of your hair. Some heads of hair grow much faster than others. There is also something called terminal length. This is the length that is reached when each strand ends the growing stage in the growth cycle (called the anagen phase). When a strand reaches the end of that stage, it remains dormant for a while before shedding on its own. Someone whose hair grows slower than average and has a fairly short-lived anagen stage won't be able to grow their hair as long as someone who has a faster growth rate and longer growth cycle.

I think the most important part of growing your hair is to make sure your hair remains healthy by staying moisturized and as undamaged as possible. Learn to embrace your healthy strands, no matter what their length. And in time, healthy hair will become longer hair.


5 comments :

  1. Great post. Agree with all points. Once I learned the best mothods that worked for my kids hair, I grew my 4 kids' hair from shoulder length to rear-end length (my girls) and past arm pit length (the longest my son lets his hair get before making me get it cut, lol).

    But, I'd add that equally important factors for hair growth (hair care methods like protective styling are hair retention) are body health & scalp health. Make sure your kids eat right, get enough sleep, get enough water, reduce stress, and get enough exercise. Make sure you keep their scalps & hair clean. You'll help prevent or treat issues such as scalp irration or illnesses that can lead to follicle death or vitamin/mineral deficiencies or food allergies that can trigger diffuse or patch hair loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful points and while my hair is growing, it has been trial and error growing my daughter's super dry hair. I just made a natural home concoction that I hope will help her hair...especially since at 11 she's trying to do her own hair (lots of hair pulling on her part in frustration).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love her hair and hairstyles...great blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    I agree with everything you've said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well i love it but im 8 in a half i have a really dry scalp and my mom does,nt want a perm or relaxer so what should i do

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.