Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sophisticate's Black Hair Styles and Hair Care Guide (An Update!)


Remember when I made this post about my disappointment in Sophisticate's Black Hair Styles and Hair Care Guide? Well, I never heard back from them. In fact, one of our readers posted the link to my post on their Facebook page only to have it deleted. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised to pick up their magazine and see a curly cutie in the children's section with 20 hair care tips. I didn't get a chance to read through all the tips but I was able to snap some pictures. I guess they heard us! I'm going to keep an eye on the magazine, I would love to see more of this. Thanks to those of you who emailed. :)



"20 Best Child Style Haircare Tips You Need to Know"
  1. The key to healthy hair begins with a good diet.
  2. Develope a regular cleansing regimen.
  3. When caring for thin hair, find the right styling products.
  4. There is no one drying technique for all hair textures.
  5. Choise hair accessories that fit your child's age and character.
  6. Prevent flyaways using styling products sparingly.
  7. Minimize heat styling as much as possible.
  8. If you don't have the time to style hair, opt for low maintience looks. (suggests braids, twists and cornrows)
  9. If your child wears braids, make sure the scalp stays moisturized.
  10. Choose hair accessories wisely.
  11. Always use a leave-in conditioner with curly hair.
  12. Avoid too-tight hair styles, as they may lead to breakage and hair loss.
  13. When detangling the hair, always use a wide-tooth comb.
  14. Play with hair accessories but remember to take care of the hair.
  15. Keep it simple but have fun with different hairstyles.
  16. Add flair using synthetic pieces.
  17. Coarse hair requires a lot of moisture.
  18. Wrap the hair in a silk bonnet or hair net at night.
  19. Avoid relaxers until the early teen years.
  20. All tools should be sanitized.


10 comments :

  1. Now I don't have to raise my eyebrow at the mag when I'm mag shopping, lol. That's a great start. Hopefully they will continue by featuring some curly hair styles for kids. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I didn't even know about the magazine to begin with. Will definitely be looking into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is about time! I'd given up on the magazine years ago. They do have sections every now and then with locs and braids but that seemed to be all they knew about natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post.
    not understanding why they deleted the link to your post on FB. but glad they listened. :O) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yay!!!! I'm so glad to hear that they did something about it! So much time had passed with no reply I figured they just ignored us all. SO happy to see they didn't! :D

    ~ Karli

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't lie. I've got mixed emotions. GLad to see it here...sad it took us saying something when it should've been there to begin with. Let me stop hatin & just be glad for the start. Shoot, they need to go on & pay you to be a featured writer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's right Ms. Nicki! Fight for what was right as it relates to Hair Care etc. For a magazine to just put any kind of information out there that is not correct is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not having to do anything with this post, but where do you purchase your shea butter? I have read in previous posts that you use a shea butter/coconut oil mix.

    To detangle my daughters hair I use Biolage Leave in Tonic. I'm sure its not completely natural, but it works wonders for my daughters 4c hair. Maybe you can try it and review it one time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled upon your blog. Love your posts! However, I think a lot of people are misinformed when it comes to SBH. I regularly submit photos to them and so do many other stylists. The mag has done a wonderful job supporting all of us and publishing our work.

    When you see a story with model photos like the images you see in your last post for Kids Coif Corner, the only people you can blame for the promotion of heat is the stylists who constantly submit those photos. Plus, it's not like SBH is telling you to put heat on your kids hair every day. This is just one look! I applaud SBH for their efforts. Especially because they do put out well-researched service features like this one. And to be honest...their Braids & Naturals minimagazine has improved greatly within the past year and a half!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.