Friday, January 28, 2011

Cornrows & Hearts - Valentine's Day Style



Valentine's Day is right around the corner so I decided to do a fun Valentine's Day style mixed with cornrows, heart ponies and colorful beads with heart snaps on the ends. A was thrilled to have hearts in her hair, she just kept giggling and cannot wait to show her friends! Read below for instructions.






Instructions:
  • I washed and deep conditioned A's hair over the weekend. After washing was complete I moisturized and banded her hair in 4 sections. I spaced the bands out about a half inch to an inch apart to stretch her hair out for styling. The next morning I removed the bands (her hair felt so soft and moisturized!) and did a quick style for school.
  • When she got home from school I took the style out, added some Bee Mine luscious moisturizer and gently detangled with our modified Denman D3 Brush.
  • After detangling was complete I got to work on the left side of her head. I began by parting the heart on the left side, above her left ear. I used a metal rat tail comb as I would a pencil and parted the heart out of her hair just like I would draw a heart on paper. After parting the heart I tied it off and cornrowed the small section of hair that was infront of the heart, along her hairline.
  • I tied the rest of her hair off, untied the heart section and parted a little hair from the inside of the heart, all the way around. I cornrowed one section inside of the heart to the right, and the other to the left. After the heart had 2 cornrows in the inside, going the opposite direction, I smoothed down the remaining hair in the heart and tied it off with a rubberband at the base. I braided the remaining hair left in the rubberband.
  • After I was completely finished with that heart, I untied her hair and parted her hair straight across in the back. I tied the back section off and got started on the top section.
  • I parted the top section of hair to the side so I had a small remainder of hair near her right ear. I tied the small section of hair near her right ear off to get it out of the way.
  • I began by starting my top section parting from the middle of the heart going toward her forehead and along her hairline. I cornrowed that section then parted another section coming from the middle of the heart going in the same direction. After I cornrowed that section I moved to the back of the top section and again, started near the middle of the heart going to the back of her head then going off to the side. I cornrowed that section and parted another section going in the same direction. After she had 2 cornrows in the front of the top section and 2 cornrows in the back of the top section I parted another heart on top. Remember, part just like you are drawing a heart on paper, only you're using a comb in hair.
  • After making the second heart, I tied it off with a rubberband at the base, as I did the other heart and braided the remaining hair.
  • At this point she only had a little hair on the outsides of the heart so I made a straight part in the middle of the heart and cornrowed each section going around the heart.
  • I moved on to the small section near her right ear and just made 4 cornrows going straight down the right side of her head.
  • Now the entire top section is done and all that was left to do was the back section. I simply parted medium sections of hair going straight down in the back, cornrowed them, and she was all done!
  • I added some fun Valentine's Day themed beads and heart snaps at the ends.



24 comments :

  1. GORGEOUS!!! I love it!! Maybe I will be brave and try it on my youngest daughter :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I was trying t figure out what to do for Mini Me's hair. Think I'll try this out. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is oh so beautiful!!!!tumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty!! Great job Nikki! I can't wait to show Anisa. I don't know what I'm gonna do with her hair yet.
    SN: I sent you an email about one of the moms at my school. She has skills!!! Hopefully she'll send in some Hair Share pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is the most amaizing, creative style I've seen you do so far! Awesome! ;-]

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks great. i wish my little girl would sit still long enough to let that happen! lol

    great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I am going to do my daughter's hair like A's! It's so creative <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. now you've got me wanting to try it out... Danasia's been wanting heart styles a lot lately. this might be out of my league though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! You have such talent, and A is adorable as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Pretty! Wish i knew how to braid but i cant seem to get to my fingers right LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative & cute. Your creativity amazes me. One question, how do you keep those snaps on her hair? The ones that I put on my DD hair always come off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You are so talented. I'm lightweight hating on those perfect parts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, that is adorable! I love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE your blog. I'm a white mom with two gorgeous black daughters that I adopted at birth. I love, love, love taking care of their hair and learning new styles. This is hands down my new favorite blog. Plus, my two year old looks EXACTLY like your daughter. It's uncanny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute, & you are so talented!!
    God bless you =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Very nice style, thanks for sharing! You definitely inspire me to be more creative...well try to be anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is style is a sweet combination of culture, convenience & cuteness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you tie A's hair down at night, how do you prevent dents and braids bending?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am thinking about trying to use beads for the first time. I was just wondering what size beads you use? Where do you buy your beads from? Do you reccommend a specific brand? And where do you find your hair snaps?

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.