Monday, January 17, 2011

Cornrows, Twists & Beads



Instructions:
  • As always, start with (properly) detangled hair. :)
  • I first parted her hair from ear to ear and tied the back section off. I moved back to the top section and parted a square in the middle. I tied off the section on each side of the square and got started.
  • I began parting hair out of the square to cornrow. I started in the front and stopped at the end of the cornrow, leaving the rest of the hair free. I moved on and cornrowed another section. I now had 2 sections cornrowed, I took those two sections and tied them together with a white rubberband (previously soaked in coconut oil). After tying them together I began twisting them. I did sister twists, otherwise known as rope twists. To create a sister twist, you just turn one section of hair clockwise and the other counter clockwise, then you begin twisting them around one another, continuing to twist them in opposite directions. I rolled the ends of the twists in my fingers and proceeded to add beads with a beader. I tied the ends with a black rubberband (soaked in coconut oil) and moved on to my next section. She had a total of 6 cornrows in the middle square, all tied together to create one twist, so she had 3 twists.
  • After finishing up the middle section, I moved on to the right side of her hair. I cornrowed 4 braids straight back and tied every 2 cornrows together to create the twist, just like in the middle section. I repeated this process on the left side.
  • After cornrowing, twisting and beading the top half of her hair, I moved to the back. I started at the nap of her neck and began parting large squares, I tied them off with white rubberbands and twisted them up, using them same sister twist method. I did this to the back of her entire head.

Note: This style took 1-1.5 hours and lasted just over 1 week. I used the usual, Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and Curly Butter.



"The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important." — Martin Luther King Jr.

10 comments :

  1. I am so going to try this style on my daughters hair tonight! I am not as good of a braider as you, but i'mgoing to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mine, this style is BEAUTIFUL..so fresh! Good work mum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really pretty. I love how the white rubberbands change up the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fly style! Loving the quote! Do you use the Shea Butter & Coconut Oil still or strictly the BeeMine products?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to do this style for the week. I was going to pratice the heart style but I would rather someting like this instead. Keep up the EXCELLENT work. I am always inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspire me girl! I plan on trying each and every style you have on your site! You are so creative. I love love love your blog and FB page! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.