Thursday, October 28, 2010

Small Box Braids Curled With Curlformers



As previously mentioned, we have been very busy lately. Why didn't anyone tell me Fall was such a busy season?! Although I have been dying to try new things, from products to styles, I just don't have the time right now. I chose box braids (a favorite!) because they are long lasting and oh so versatile. Don't believe me? Search box braids in the search box, you will find lots of ideas! I'm sure I will be trying a few things from Guest Blogger Aisha's getting creative with box braids post. These are the smallest box braids I have done in A's hair, she has (I'm guessing) about 80 total. I wanted to make these much smaller but I knew that would be very time consuming so I settled for these. I think (hope!) we will get at least 3 weeks out of them. Oh, I guess I should add, she LOVES it! :)

Photobucket

What her hair looked like when we started and what her hair looked like when we finished.
Photobucket

Shrinkage.
Photobucket

Curlformers in.
Photobucket


At this point, I don't think you will need another set of instructions on box braids so I will just leave you with this short bullet list of things you may want to know:
  • This style took about 4 hours. I split it into two days, did a little more than half on the first day, then finished the rest the next day.
  • After washing and detangling her hair, I banded it up for one night. This didn't stretch her hair out very much, but it worked out fine. (see picture above)
  • I used Bee Mine Products for these box braids. I added a small amount of luscious moisturizer to each section, then a bit of curly butter on top.
  • I wet her braids and added about 8 Long & Extra Wide Curlformers to her braids.
  • These gave her box braids a loose curl, next time I will use the extra long & wide Curlformers. Last time they gave her braids some gorgeous, long lasting curls.
  • I previously mentioned this, but I'll say it again. I always braid in the direction I want the braids to go. So on top for example, when I had about half of the right side done, I started braiding the rest of the right side to the left because I wanted them to fall that way for her side ponytail. Plus, I always love a side part.

I hope that about covers it! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

The back. It was interesting because when I pushed her braids to the front, they curled up a lot more.
Photobucket

Photobucket

21 comments :

  1. This is very cute! And yes, you are right- tiny box braids are very time consuming but the end result is so worth it! I would love to hear about the take down process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is just gorgeous, i can't wait to try it on my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for a while now and love what you do with/to your daughters hair. I have a questions..do you have any tips on how to grow hair out? My daughter is 10 years old and we cant seem to get her hair to grow very well. Do you have some tips on helping it grow faster or at least grow a little bit better? Since my daughter is very mature for 10..do you have any styles that would be more appropriate for her and or my 12 yo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great and a cute outfit to boot :) This style would look cute on older kids and tweens too! Good job mama...I bet your hands were tired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! This looks like it took FOREVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These came out beautifully! =)

    I can't wait until my daughters hair gets a little bit longer so I can do lots of box braids! =) What do you tie the ends off with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh awesome i never would have thought to curl braids with curl formers i am soooo gonna do that! I use curl formers on my caucasian daughters but had wondered how to use them on my African American Daughters...now i know thanks!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful and I love the look with the curl formers made. Where did you get the curl formers at?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! We just did box braids for Kurly T and she loved them too. Good job mom! Aisha has inspired us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute- I did a few box braids in the front for Leah for Halloween and set her whole head in the long curlformers- the braided pieces curled the best- happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, A's hair is way past her waist now! Looks awesomely beautiful! Love the sweater too. :)

    I tried tiny box braids on rear length hair (my youngest) and her two waist length haired sisters. Needless to say it took forever to braid their hair (I started Saturday night and then finished on Sunday night, lol).

    It was worth it because the tinier box braids looked so wonderful with their headbands and gemmed barettes...but man, oh man did I want to kill myself when it came time to take the braids out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some fabulous braids!!! I've got to invest in some of those Curlformers. I intended to get some flex rods for Emma, but I think I'd rather invest in the Curlformers because they are so cool and give such beautiful results!

    Great reminder that braids should be braided in the direction that you want them to fall. I employed this when doing Emma's chunky twists!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! i can't wait till my daughter's hair is that long!! On a second thought, maybe I can lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg i love this look!the curls on the ends make it look so adorable!!i do have a question can i use curling rods instead of the curlformers?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...it looks so good on her...love it..and with the curls in it..lovely..tumbs up! Oh..and her hair is getting so incredible long...

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're beautiful! How do you maintain this style? My daughters' hair always looks so dry after just a week. Any suggestions on keeping their hair moisturized while in the braid style?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's so beautiful! I love how the curlformers leave her hair so wavy at the bottom. I can tell this took a very long time to do. BTW your DD is getting so big! She's starting to lose her baby fat too awww

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog has inspired me to get more creative with my daughter's hair. I'm white, she's Indian, but has African curly hair. From the looks of the pictures on this blog, her hair is very, very similar to your daughter's hair, except shorter. I have been following your routine and even bought the HEHH and Bee Mine products! My question is: my box braids always look terrible after three days. She won't wear a cap at night. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Sarah - A satin pillow case should help. Also, be sure to moisturize!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those curls are sooo pretty at the end of the braids! What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this style! It looks great! Shoot, I like A's outfit too, that's sharp. Girl, you could be a stylist for the kid stars!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.