Friday, October 23, 2009

The Basics

I wanted to make my first post about the basics of caring for Biracial/African American hair. I want to point out that I am not a professional. Believe it or not, I just learned how to properly care for and style my daughter's hair this year. (Around January 2009) I have done a lot of research on Biracial/African American hair yet I am still learning something new every day. I hope this helps someone out there!

Basic tools needed:

A rat tail comb for parting. I prefer metal. A spray bottle, and a WIDE tooth comb.

Washing:
Wash the scalp with shampoo once a week. No need to apply the shampoo to all of your child's hair. Gently scrub the scalp with the balls of your fingers, NOT your fingernails. Depending on how thick your child's hair is, you may find it easier to work in sections. Try 4 sections. When you are done, rinse the hair and scalp thoroughly.

I personally condition my daughter's hair once a week as well. Many people cowash (washing hair with conditioner only) a few times a week. Whatever works for you.

When you add the conditioner, it would probably be best to apply it in sections. After you apply the conditioner on one section, take your wide tooth comb and starting from the ends comb through, work your way up. Be gentle! Try finger combing first if you have enough time. It makes a huge difference. The more coarse/curly the hair, the easier it is to tangle, tangles = breakage because many people do not know how to get those little tangles out. If you do come across a little snag, I suggest getting it a bit more wet and applying a little more conditioner to the tangle and just try to work it out as best you can. Do not pull the hair apart, it will break off! Detangle the rest of the hair the same way. Next, it is your decision to rinse the conditioner out, or leave it in. I personally use Teri's method of not rinsing the conditioner out. (it leaves A's curls looking great!) Now, you can't just leave in any old regular conditioner, she has a list of recommendations on her website.

Now, you will probably be tempted to dry your little one's hair with a towel. I suggest doing light dabs with a towel, or just go section by section with your hands and squeeze out the excess water.

Time for bed? If your child does not have their hair styled I suggest doing 4-8 big twists/braids in the hair so it does not tangle over night. Have them sleep on a satin bonnet/pillow case if possible. In the morning, take down each section one at a time, grab your spray bottle (which should have a conditioner or leave-in conditioner mixed in) shake it up, spray the section of hair, if you want, add a moisturizer and finger comb that section, or use a wide tooth comb, repeat on each section of hair. This should be done in no time at all! It really saves time in the morning if you do that before bed time.

If you have a style in your child's hair, it would probably be best to take out any hair accesories before bed. (beads, barrettes, bows, rubberbands, etc) I personally do not do that all of the time, even though I should. I'm working on it.

On days when A's hair is down and it needs detangled I just use my handy dandy spray bottle with conditioner mixed in and a wide tooth comb.

On days when I style A's hair I usually soak the rubberbands in olive oil first. (If I even need to use rubberbands)

I usually leave A's styles in for one week.

We currently use Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, & Giovanni Direct Leave-in.

I currently use Organic Root Stimulator Moisturizing Lotion to style A's hair. (Braids, cornrows, twists) But I recently discovered it has petroleum in it, which can dry the hair out so after this bottle is gone I will no longer use it. I am on the hunt for something new!

Determining Hair Type:
Curly Hair Salon, Naturally Curly, or Blended Beauty

Other Cool Websites:
Tightly Curly
Biracial Hair Care Guide from Treasured Locks
Naturally Curly
Caring for Kinky Curly Hair
Learn to Cornrow *This is how I learned!

11 comments :

  1. love what you're doing with ur daughter's hair! I hope your blogs still around in a few years when I start having kids so I can steal your brilliant ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi you inspire me to get creative with my daughters hair.when you do the conditioner only method how do you incoporate the leave in and the moisturizer to your daughter regimen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOO HAPPY I stumbled upon your blog!!! I am on healthy hair growth journey. My younger sisters and I are 100% african american but my mother doesnt really have time to do their hair. I want to take them under my wing and help them grow their hair (they have teeny afros :) your daughter's hair is GORGEOUS. My jaw drops EVERYTIME. keep up the wonderful work. are there any tips you have for me as far as moisture and such. THANKS (sorry for the long post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you take great care of your daughter's hair. I have been keeping up with you on bbc forever. I would love for you to post things on how you take care of your son's hair. I have a 2 year old little boy who is half black/half white. I don't have a clue on how to care for it so I just get it cut. I would love for him to walk around with his curls. PLEASE HELP!!! You do a great job and I tell everyone I know with a little girl to check out your blog. We ALL love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE love love the Blended Beauty line, especially the Butter me up and Jelly cream. I have 2 bi-racial daughters, one with super kinky, super think (just like mommy lol) and easily tangled hair, and the other has very soft light brown curls which are generally very easy to comb. I find the jelly cream is the perfect mix of moisture and hold when I'm doing styles like cornrows, for both of my girls. It also works great for the softer hair for a down-and-out style where I want nice defined curls. I use the butter on the kinkier hair as a moisturizer and so far it is the best product I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great tips, but I was wondering, why do you soak the rubber bands in olive oil? I've never heard of that before. I'm about to bead my daughters hair in the morning, should I pre-soak the bands?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly don't know how I missed the products you use that you clearly posted LOL but I did! I guess my new question is, is there anything new that you have replaced these with? By the way I really love the products review! Even though I've been a follower forever I haven't really gotten into it until recently since aaliyahs hair is now much longer and I can finally do styles with it! Basically what I am trying to say is, I love your blog, your doing a great job and your amazingly creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of conditioner do you usually use in the spray bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, I try doing that with my hair but sometimes I feel too lazy to go through that long process and it gets my hair messed up. I wish I had someone to do it for me lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips. I tried the pre-soaking the bands, and it saved me alot of breakage =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use the soaking in olive oil technique for the rubberbands, thanks to your blog. I also mix paul mitchell "the detangler" almond oil and glycerin in my spray bottle, not sure if you have tried it but I like how it works

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.