Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mini Braids



So, I decided to do mini braids for our One Month Protective Styling Facebook Challenge. Now, I know these will last 1 month but I'm hoping for 6 weeks, possibly even 8? We shall see!

Last weekend I washed and detangled A's hair. I left Blended Cutie's Tug Me Knot conditioner in for 15-20 minutes before detangling for a little deep conditioning. After I detangled and rinsed her hair I applied Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer and banded it in about 9 sections. Her hair wasn't very stretched out when I started styling it on Sunday (May 15th) but I went for it anyway. I didn't finish until Friday, May 20th. I wasn't really on a time limit, I just braided a few rows every day here and there. I think I did about 3 hours on Saturday and the other days ranges from 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I didn't even touch her hair on Thursday. We were both happy to be finished on Friday. After I finished braiding I wet her hair and added some Curly Q's Custard to her ends. I think the braids at the crown of her head are bigger than the rest because I started to get tired. I parted her hair the same exact way I did her mini twists, at an angle the entire time. There are 2 small cornrows in the front on each side across her hairline. The only products I applied to each section as I braided was unrefined shea butter and virgin coconut oil. I don't have an exact time on how long this took but if I had to guess it would be between 10-15 hours over the course of 6 days (took one day off, so 5, really). Lots of DVD's, snacks, patience and silliness were involved. We both love the results and it feels nice to know we won't have to do much to her hair for a month or two.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!





Pics from yesterday:


23 comments :

  1. she is beautiful as always!! i don't think i would have the patience for mini braids, you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! Can't wait to see how long they last.



    precious-curls.blogspot.com
    joie-de-vie-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! God bless your soul and fingers! It came out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of my braid days... I'm looking forward to the return of those days now that my 'fro is getting bigger. Great job Nikki!! I know that you and A are gonna have a lot of fun with these braids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is indeed goregous!!! I nope that you get your 6-8 weeks out of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely indeed! the mini braids are probably my favorite style out of any we've ever tried.

    her's look amazing! i can't believe that it took you that long. i got lucky with A because she has a small head. lol

    i do have one question for you, what do you do when she wears them in a pony tail and the braids are stuck in that direction? if that made any since at all. lol. do you just wet at the roots or something? A had wore hers back for a few days and now they want to hang in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it I did the exact same thing to B's hair also....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooWOW!
    Cool! I love the little ringlets on then ends of every braid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look great! Only question somewhat unrelated... When you band As hair after her weekly routine (shampoo/condition) you are letting her hair air dry overnight? My daughter has asthma and gets a cold every time. I'm wondering if you or anyone else had this problem or did I miss a step.

    Secondly, I have a son also. Any suggestion on keeping him entertained while doing your daughter's hair?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Nikki, u have done a good job..you see such styles makes me so happy, cos it let us see that u can do braids with ur own hair too and its so cute and so protective!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you have a lot of patience, i don't think i could stand it. it looks really good as usual. Can't wait to see how long it last!!! keep up the good hair care Nikki

    diaryofahairprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful! Now, since you're all practiced up, how 'bout you do them for my daughter as well?? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She looks great! my one question is do you think this would work for really kinky hair also? or do you think it will knot at the ends after a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Like Always :)

    untrainedhairmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Her hair looks adorable. Now I would dread taking those mini twist out but I love how nice they look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, great job on these! That time was not bad considering how long your daughter's hair is. I shed a tear at the thought of taking them out. My daughter's hair is just too long for me now to want to take them out at that size...maybe we'll try to do some jumbo size box braids, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! And I have a question, too. How did you style her hair during the week, when only part of it was braided?

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICK LIKES TO BRAID HAIR?

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Jacqueline, I think this is a great style for kinkier hair. Once I get to the end of the braids (even two strand twists) I roll the hair. The hair on the ends tends to coil together, without really knotting up.

    I'm tempted to do this for the summer, but I still cringe at the thought of taking it down. My daughters don't even have nearly this much hair.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why am I upset that she's looking so grown now? I love her braids!

    ReplyDelete
  21. She's getting so grown up!! Her braids look amazing, Nikki, GREAT job!! Can't wait for updates!!
    ~Karli
    www.curlyhairdoideas.com

    p.s. the challenge has been sooooo fun over here! Thank you for doing it again :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.