Monday, May 16, 2011

D.I.Y. Headband Holder



I heard about this adorable idea from one of the forums I'm a member of and have been dying to try it! I finally got the chance to pick up some extra supplies today so I went for it.

You will need:
  • A large oatmeal container
  • 3 sheets of scrapbook paper or some fabric.
  • Scissors and glue (I used mod podge glue)
  • Optional: candle holder, spray paint, ribbon/lace, hot glue gun

I love craft blogs and crafty people but I am so not crafty. Trust me when I say, you do not need any skills for this project.

First, I took the cheap metal candle holder I bought and spray painted it with white spray paint. I left it outside to dry. Then, I began by cutting the scrapbook paper to the size I needed, it was crooked, but it worked. I covered one side of the oatmeal container in hodge podge glue (covered the kitchen table in glue as well O_O) then placed one sheet of scrapbook paper over the glue. After that side was done, I covered the other side of the oatmeal container with glue and stuck the other sheet of scrapbook paper on. Easy peasy. I grabbed the hot glue gun and the purple lace I bought (for $2 from Hobby Lobby!) and began placing glue along the bottom of the oatmeal container. I put the lace on quickly as hot glue tends to dry very fast. I cut a circle out of the last sheet of scrapbook paper I bought and glued it to the top of the oatmeal can. I hot glued some lace around the top as well. I went outside to get the candle holder. Let me just say, I am a terrible spray painter. I put way too much paint but whatever, no big deal. It was dry so I put the oatmeal container on top of the candle holder and viola! All done!

A was with me every step of the way on this project. She was so excited to be my little helper and loved the finished result! She is now making little crafts in her room, lol.

Now I just have to figure out what to put inside. Either her sunglasses or her ouchless ponytail holders for banding.



There are headbands on the back too.


Have fun!

12 comments :

  1. Soooo cute! I am going to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. clever! my daughter will love doing this craft! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You are craftier than you admit, the art you do in your daughters hair is VERY crafty and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! May have to try this although my girls' headband collections is not as extensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cute and such a great idea!



    precious-curls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great craft idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each of my 3 daughters has four large Gap bags full of hair accessories, and now I will have them make a ton of these oatmeal hair accessory holders for their rooms. Yes, make them do the art crafts and not me, lol. Trying to keep them busy and keep them organized before summer camp in Hawwaii. Thanks for the idea & easy instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute and unique


    diaryofahairprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving this. I have been looking for a unique way to hold her headbands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did this craft but my dumb butt used the small oatmeal container. lol! Let just say I will be making another one so that the headbands don't slide off.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.