Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Natural Flower Girl Updo with Cornrows and Twists


Another updo! I know you're probably sick of them at this point but we have been loving them! Miss A thinks she's Princess Tiana! (hmm, possible Halloween costume?) I know how hard it is to find natural flower girl hair styles or special occasion hairstyles done on curly hair so I'm going to try my best to showcase styles fit for the occasion. 

Let's begin with instructions, shall we?

Miss A's hair was already moisturized and stretched from her previous bantu knot-out. I parted a half moon shape on the top middle section of her hair and tied it off. I started by parting a curved section near her left ear for the first cornrow. I added a little Bee Mine Curly Butter to the section and braided. If you don't know how to cornrow you can do a simple two strand flat twist or check out our Cornrowing for Beginners post. I used a rubberband to secure the cornrow once I got to the end and left the remaining hair out. I only wrapped the rubberband about 3 times, just enough to secure the cornrow but not tight enough to cause breakage.

I continued beginning my parts at the nape of her neck, slightly curving each part and cornrowing until I reached the other side.

I banded all of the loose hair into three separate banded sections and had her sleep with a sleeping cap overnight. Not sure what banding is? No problem, check out our Banding F.A.Q. post.

The next morning I removed the banded and created three large two strand twists with the top section of loose hair. I played with the twists for a few minutes to see how I wanted the updo to look. I wrapped the left twist around to the right side and secured with a bobby pin then I wrapped the right twist to the left side and secured. I decided to do a twisted cinnabun with the last twist. As you can see I made it sit on her forehead a bit. A little bit of an old school feel.

To bring the entire flower girl look together I had her put on an old dress and placed a single flower clip bought from Claire's on the side of her updo. See below for more pictures!

Don't forget to "like" us on Facebook!

Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest!








10 comments :

  1. Perfection! Wow. Now I can't decide whether we will try this updo or the cinnabun/flat twist style for our upcoming event! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I love it. I am definitely not sick of up-do's!! Miss A looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! I must try this style on my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely not tired of updos!!!!!! they are sooooo versatile & they get better and better everytime u bring a new one to the table!!!! so impressive, elegant, and really fit for any age! Great job again ms. nikki!!!! Miss A is a gorgeous little flower as always! ~Ky <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Would love to see tutorials or at least some of the style being done! I'm a fan either way! This blog and your YouTube channel have given me inspiration to seek out more natural styles and products for my daughters hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog and your YouTube channel has become inspiration for me to seek out more natural styles and products for my daughters hair! I would love to see these styles in a tutorial though. That would be soooo helpful or at least film some of the style being done! Either way i'm a fan!! Thanks for sharing your styles and beautiful daughter with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She has got a beautiful hair *_*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not tired of the updo's, I love these for me( adult). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.